how do i treat for parasites w/o a fecal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, I have a 1 1/2 year old male beardie. I want to treat him for parasites, I don't know if he has them but he's never been treated and since he eats crickets i want to be safe and keep him healthy. I can't afford a fecal right now and my parents wont pay but I could afford any OTC med. from petsmart probably. Can you give me some help on how to go about this? Thanks

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
My vet charges $10 per fecal sample. Have you called any vets to check prices? Don't just assume, most won't ask for a lot. It's also very cheap to get meds from the vet, they charged me $1.50 for panacur to treat Moose's pinworms.

If you really can't get a fecal done but still want to medicate, you need to get us his weight in grams.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You simply can not give parasite medicine without a fecal.

First off you need the fecal to tell you which parasites (if any) are present seeing as different parasites require different medications.
Secondly, you need the fecal done to be able to know the counts of parasites.

The majority of parasite medicine is very harsh on a dragons system, and it would be detrimental to your dragons health to give any parasite medicine without first having a fecal done to know if the medicine you are using will even treat the parasites present.

If you are concerned about your dragons health, you really need to convince your parents to let you take him to the vet.
If you aren't seeing any signs of parasites and are wanting to medicate just for precautionary reasons, than I would have to say that it would be best to not try to self medicate.

Your mind is in the right place by being concerned for your dragons health (which is a lot more than I can say about some dragon owners ) but it really is best to see a vet if you're concerned. :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom