How do I transport my Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
OK so I am a new beardie owner, I will have Chaos 3 weeks tomorrow. We are getting ready to move, I know bad timing. Anyway at the end of June or the beginning of July we will be moving 3 1/2 hours away. I'm going to be getting really busy and I thought now would be a good time to figure out how to transport Chaos (along with the dogs, tarantulas, and hermit crabs). Any advice you can share would be wonderful. I don't want to make the move more stressful, on anyone, than it already will be.

Thank you!

flirtycuddle

Juvie Member
I moved a adult bearded dragon, 5ft iggy, 2ft water monitor, and crested geckos 6 hours away last year. What I did was put the iggy in the water monitors tank since she was free roam and had no cage. The water monitor was in a large critter keeper and the geckos in deli cups. The bearded was on a towel in a small tupperware thing with no lid on and she slept on my lap the whole way. If you are really worried or wont be in the same vehical as the dragon many use either a cat carrier or a critter keeper depending on size of the animal.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
All the animals will be with me. I was just concerned b/c of the heat and light requirements that the beardie needs. Do I feed him on moving day or should I wait since he will not be as warm as normal? I'm just glad that it is only a 3 hour trek!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
If you can feed him early enough that he has 2 hours under the lights to digest then you should feed him. I personally would put a towel or blanket in a cat carrier. For three hours, he should be fine without the lamps. If you are going to keep your car chilly then you can get handwarmers and wrap them in a towel or blanket and put your beardie on top.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":b7d87 said:
If you can feed him early enough that he has 2 hours under the lights to digest then you should feed him. I personally would put a towel or blanket in a cat carrier. For three hours, he should be fine without the lamps. If you are going to keep your car chilly then you can get handwarmers and wrap them in a towel or blanket and put your beardie on top.

Handwarmers! That is a great idea, thanks!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Wherever we go Ruben travels in his "dragonmobile"
DSC00726.jpg

All it is is an old hamster habitat I bought at a goodwill store for £2. As its cold in the UK I always put a hotwater bottle half-filled in the bottom of the tub. Then a blanket for him to lay on. Then I always put in his blankie just incase he gets a little overwhelmed and wants to hide.
Its sturdy as they come so could just be put in the back of the car, but Rube always rids shotgun with me ^_^

Holly

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
I just got back from a trip to Alabama with Toni. It was a seven hour trip one way. I used a small animal carrier with a towel and a thermacare pad. She loved it and felt safe. I have pictures of her in it on my thread in General Discussion.

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wow, so it's not uncommon to travel with these guys huh? That is realy good to know. Chaos is just little, born in March by my guess. He was roughly 6 inches when I got him 3 weeks ago. So he should be between around 4 months old when we make the move. I think? What size leash for a BD? I know that Chaos is probably still too small, but for future reference anyway. We are moving to VA and the house that we should be getting (I'm crossing fingers and toes and anything else that can cross) is a lake house and I want to be able to take Chaos outside w/ me as much as possible. Thanks again guys! I am feeling much more comfortable about amking the move w/ Chaos in tow now.

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
I use a medium size T-Rex comfort leash with Toni. She is a smaller beardie, so when Chaos gets a little bigger, you may need a large size. But either way that is the best leash I've used. I tried the iguana leash but it just pulls on their little spikes. Doesn't seem comfy at all. The comfort leash is rated on this website in the reviews section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom