How do i get my new Beardie used to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy98

I just received a beardie from a coworker. he has been handled and what not but i would really like to know from experienced beardie owners how you get yours used to you. I am an inexperienced owner and i would like to know how to start out right with him. I know how to keep him healthy and happy, but i do not know how to properly go about starting a "relationship" with this awesome pet.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
He will learn to trust you though thoughtful care and handling. You can hold him everyday, you must pick him up from underneath, supporting his weight with your hands. Never grab his tail. You can start out by handling him for short periods and if he does fine then longer. There is no one particular way to build the relationship, but I like to hand feed my adult superworms. Sub adults really enjoy their baths, and Juvies can be a real mixed bag. I guess what I'm saying is it all starts with you actively building trust and seeing what the dragon likes.

Welcome to the Forum

Jeff

Ozzy98

Original Poster
thank you for the welcome, i have a feeling that i will be here alot! :D

so do i use both hands to pick him up? i know i have to pick him up behind his front legs, but do i have to set him on my other hand? the last time i tried that, he wanted to jump away. i dont want to scare him though.

this morning, i decided to pet him with some water on my hands and i let it drip down his face and he seemed to like that, i guess, because he was licking it all up.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello & Welcome to BD.org! :D
And......
:blob8: :blob8: Congratulations on the New Beardie! :blob8: :blob8:
Would love to see pic's of your New Beardie. :wink:
How Big or Old is your beardie?

I usually scoop my beardies up by the belly, supporting the entire belly and the base of the tail for the adults.
Babies I scoop them up by placing a finger under their chest.

Again Welcome Aboard! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom