How do i get my beardie use to being picked up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammy

Ive had my beardie about a month now and im not able to pick him up to bathe him or anything. If i put my hand in the enclosure he freaks out and goes crazy. I dont do it often because i dont want to stress him as it took me a while to gethm eating regularly. Anyone have any tips? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try holding him in the evening just before or right after lights out. He's likely to be tired and not give up much fight. If you hold him in the evenings for a while he'll likely get more used to you being safe and will tolerate handling a bit better during the day. Be patient with it, it can take time.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Approaching him from directly overhead may be scaring him. (Think bird coming to eat him.) Try to let him see your hand while you approach him from the side and scoop him up from under his belly.
Talking calmly while doing so will probably help, too. Once you pick him up, talk to him face to face. That has helped my dragons get used to me. One of my girls opens her mouth like she is trying to talk. Seriously.

Hammy

Original Poster
Ive tried coming in from the side and front but as soon as he sees my hand he will run to the other side of his enclosure and try to climb the walls. I cant get my hand anywhere near him without him running away and going crazy. It hasnt gotten any better since i brought him home.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Some need more patience than others. Will he respond to food? A technique some folks use on other lizards is to lure them out with food, then eventually on the hand etc.

Hammy

Original Poster
He will occasionally snatch a meal worm from my hanf but thats only if i dangle it in front of him. He never walks towards me or anything.

Hammy

Original Poster
No one in my house go near him unless im home and they know not to try and pick him up or anything. He was the same way in the pet store when i bought him. They had to take everything out of the enclosure just so they could get a hold of him to take him out.

Hammy

Original Poster
Thanks! That might work. Ill start that this week. Also didnt realize i double posted so my apologizes.

Hammy

Original Poster
I dont think he was a rescue,he was only a baby when i got him. But im not 100% sure,anythings possible i guess. They just couldnt get a hold of him,he would run behind anything he could find to get away from them.

NattyB

Yeah I agree - probably just a bad encounter with a human.

The more you interact the more they will trust. My Mick is a year old now (i got her at 6 weeks) She doesn't care about anything now. Except planes - she runs away thinking its a big bird :)

SIZEMICT

It took me about 2 months before Russell settled in. I had caught him free roaming outside. Be patient. Feeding and cleaning the tank will get him used to you. Sitting in front of the tank regularly will also get him used to your presence. I did watch some videos on YouTube for taming your dragon. After watching a few I just did whatever felt right. Patience is key. I remember wondering if he would ever be tame. 2 months seemed like forever when I was taming him. Now it didn't seem like that long. I enjoy the time I spend with him out roaming around more than I could have imagined. Also after I was able to handle Russell I started letting him roam in the bathroom so it would be easier to contain him. Now he has free roam of the bead room when he is out.

Don't stress or give up it is worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom