How did your dragon get his/her name????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnsNova

In our home, naming things generally comes under my kingdom, our vehicles have names, our favorite fishing rods have names, so does my shotgun, even my big Kitchensaid stand mixer is named Betty White.

So, I would *love* to hear how all those precious beardies out there got their names!

My little girl went through a few names... One thing I've learned is no matter how clever I think I am at coming up with a name, things have a way of naming themselves. When I first chose my sandfire/german giant, there was one thing that immediately caught my eye, of the dozen or so babies in the display, one stood out because of her incredibly unique pattern. Rather than a line of broken irregular dark spots down the spine, she has very very close to a solid stripe all the way to where her tail starts. I've never seen another dragon with a clearly defined stripe like that.
stripepic1_zps2946640e.jpg

stdpic_zps93250557.jpg

My first thought was "cool, a racing stripe!". Racing stripe led to car, which led to my favorite car, a '73 Chevy Nova SS which usually has a wide racing stripe, and this was just about the time the breeder showed me a birth certificate that said the baby's hatch date was July 3rd. So, '73 striped Nova = dragon hatched on 7/3 wearing a stripe = BINGO! Thus "he" was christened Nova. Once again, I was all pleased with myself at how good I was at giving something a neat name. The breeder checked and said he was pretty sure it was a male and said he was very close to keeping this particular baby for himself because of the interesting marking. A couple weeks went by and I still hadn't noticed any bulges or under tail bumps that would indicate a male. I took several detailed pics and posted them here and the general consensus was "he" was in fact, a "she". So, Nova struck me as more of a male name, so, I went ahead and shifted to my second favorite car, one with more of a feminine sound to it, Chevelle. That seemed to fit for a little while. I guess you'd have to read all my posts, but here's your basic take away: I had the wrong lighting and until I bought a clue and got everything fixed up correctly, she was somewhat dark and listless with not much of an appetite. She sure changed after the ReptiSun got installed in the cage. She went from dainty little portions that I had to beg her to eat even when she'd close her eyes and turn her head away, all the way to active hunter and adorable little piglet. Somehow Chevelle just didn't "stick" either. I should have just waited for her to tell me her name from the get-go. So, a few evenings ago, the family was watching tv, with the dragon tank to the right. No name had sprung forth yet, so rather than try to actively come up with one, I just waited for her to tell me. Pets have an amazing way of doing something to let you in on what name *they* have in mind for themselves. There we sat, watching the ridiculous antics of Cajun Pawn Stars, and they have a coffee cup from the set of the Beverly Hillbillies, along with a picture of the cast at a dinner table, with the exact cup.
Where am I going with this you may ask...
Well, here's how my demure little southern Texas belle revealed her name, one that just stuck and felt right....
I happen to look up at the right time, and here's what I saw: with the enclosure and screen side by side, there's Ellie Mae Clampett next to my dragon, both looking down onto their full plates of grub, about to dig in. The two of them were even facing the same direction. So as my little princess was chowing down on her evening treat of a couple of wax and small superworms, I see the similarities, the irony and am about to say "damn, it's about time she told me what her name was", my husband says "looks like we got a us a little Ellie Mae of our own, she eats like a rich hillbilly". There you have it, she's sweet, beautiful, tough, dainty, and eats like a pig, both Ellie Mae's. Then the supporting evidence started falling into place and it got even funnier. I lived all my life in Maryland until I divorced, remarried and moved to Texas with my current husband. My ex now refers to me as the "hillbilly b****h" around the house according to my 8 year old son. ROFL One of my two rescue pit bulls is named Jethro, with is Ellie Mae's brother on the show. But, he wasn't named Jethro because of the Beverly Hillbillies character, I specifically let my step son name his new dog, and he named the dog after the lead role on his favorite show NCIS, the incredibly hot Mark Harmon as Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
Thanks for sticking with me gentle reader. I knew I'd get to the point eventually. LOL
So, Nova became Chevelle became Ellie. She had a place in my heart the moment I saw her, even when she was anonymous. Now let's just hope Ellie isn't a very slow developing male and the name game will have to start all over again. She is three months old, so there is a slim chance I could have the sex wrong. Ugh!

Please let me hear those name stories? I'd really enjoy it.

Dawn

noelerhard

Sub-Adult Member
My baby Rouge was origanlly Luna, after Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. But it didn't seem to stick. Rouge is my favorite x-men character, and her personality seemed to match. She's very hyper and doesn't seem to like to listen. So Rouge just seemed to fit :D

morphmom

BD.org Addict

Well, I adopted Myah at one year old. She came to me as a He named Malcolm! :shock: It was very clear that this BD was a little lady (Even had my vet check as well as everyone here) I wanted to keep a "M" name for her because I thought she would adjust better after a full year of hearing that sound No one in my family (hubby/daughter) and none of my friends want anything to do with her (Not reptile people and my 6yr old gets bored) So she was always my lizard.
It made me think 'My' hmmm... My-ah baby! :D And so, it has been Myah ever since. It's why I spell it the way I do :love5:

(BTW, you have one of the best signatures I've ever seen :mrgreen: Love it!)

DawnsNova

Original Poster
WooHoo! Thanks for the replies Noel and Morphmom. Keep 'em comin. Tattoos, love to here their stories as well, but I digress.

I believe pets do all they can to tell us everything we need to know, including what to call them.

I even have a funny Luna story....
With another family, but forever in my heart, is an African Grey parrot named Luna, who also renamed herself for me.
After being in contact with a breeder over three hours' drive away, the day finally came for me to go pick up my new baby. Even though I knew better, I "pushed" for a perfect name. African Greys are a powdery dove grey with a blazing red tail. I came up with Cinder, soft white/grey ashes with a glowing ember at the bottom. Clever, perfect, wrong.
To bring her home from New York to Maryland I prepared a comfy towel padded bin to hold on my lap, with the extra towel flaps out to bundle her up if I needed to. Perfect, wrong.
As we were pulling out to start the drive home my little baby bird climbed out of the bin, up the front of me and stuck her head down the neck opening of my shirt. It wasn't the temperature, because we had the truck warming before we rushed her into it. She just wanted to be close and cuddle. She stayed there, happily cooing the entire ride, with her little fluffy butt sticking up for the world to admire. So, since she basically "mooned" everyone from NY to MD, she went from the very clever Cinder to Luna the Moon.
She let me know exactly how she wanted to be addressed. : )

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
My snake got his name 'Sebastian' because it began with an S which sounded 'snake-like' and pretty cool.
The tortoise got her name 'Kura-Kura' because it is literally tortoise in Malay and sounded very cute. Her nicknames were pet-rock, batman and tiny.
I was more creative with the beardies! I got Hige, pronounced 'Heeegay', as a male/female pair. I knew i may have to separate them but i chose a pair name nonetheless! I watch an anime in its original Japanese and one of the characters, because of his beard, gets nicknamed "Hige" which loosely gets translated as 'beardy'. The only girl that calls him this nickname, he decides to nickname "Ojo" which can translate as princess because she often acts all haughty. Hige loves to show off his beard at every possible moment so Hige/Beardy suited him and Ojo/princess often stuck her nose in the air and look at me like she disproved, so her name suited her! Plus its a very unknown pair name, so i could separate them and not be left with one half of Bert and Ernie :D Ojo ended up being rehomed not long after and was renamed Tilly :)

Ojo/Tilly
tumblr_m7yxarkvpu1qdzuh1o3_1280.jpg

Hige and his reaction whenever the camera (or a pipette) appears (This is his full slightly unimpressive beard...)
tumblr_m8p8imPofF1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Ojo/Tilly has such beautiful colors!

My first dragon won't arrive until next week, and still needs a name. I'm thinking of maybe Amadeus, but probably won't know for sure until he arrives.

Here is a picture of a crested gecko that I bought as a definite male from a gecko research facility. This "male" laid some dud eggs for me, and she had a number, not a name before she arrived. Now her name is Punkin. One look at this picture and you'll know why. :) If she were fully fired up, they'd be the exact same color.

PB300876.jpg

Hemilover77

Juvie Member
I too love your signature btw!

Hemi our little dragon rode home from Petsmart an hour away from our house in my husband's new Dodge Hemi truck, which we were joking earlier in the week about the Hemi engine being a running machine. Well after the ride home from Petsmart we got Hemi out of the carrier we had taken with us and all he wanted to do was run! He practically jumped out of our hands. I said well...this dragon wants to run like your truck! And so it stuck. I refer to Hemi as he...honestly I don't know I am waiting a little longer to check but I believe that the name Hemi is gender neutral. Our second choice was Tiki, but it just didn't seem to fit.

photo126_zps4f7c86b3.jpg

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
This is my Nimrod. Or Nim, for short. And also 'cause Nimrod sounds like an insult. :p
P9150004_zps3ad364f7.jpg

I got him from PetSmart for my birthday in May. He was one month old and about 6 inches. Before I got him I researched for a month or two. During research I thought of names. Yoshi came to mind, but that was too common. So then I thought, "I'll see what name fits him the most." So I didn't think about names until I saw him at the store. Well, I think it was on the drive there mom thought, "How about naming him Nim from that creature on that show?" That sounded like a good idea because when the show was on I fell in love with the creature. Now, the show aired in 2005 and lasted one short season. So hardly anybody knows about it, that's uniqueness. The show was called Surface. Here is a pic of the creature from the show. See the resemblance? :D
nimrod.jpg

Well, once we got to the store we found him. Mom liked the brightness in his eyes. So that was the one we brought home. The name didn't fit him per say, but now it does. He grew into it, now he seems to act like the creature at times, LOL. :D I could tell you the story of all my other pets, but that would be too long! LOL. :D I love all the other name origins in this thread BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom