How can you tell when your beardie is stuck in its old skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the signs that your beardies stuck in its old skin. As you can see I don't really know how to word this properly. But I think you can get what I'm trying to say. Thanks for anyone that helps me advanced.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Well if you are asking this because you think too much time has passed without his shed starting to come off, then not to worry, sometimes it takes quite a while for the skin underneath to be ready for the shed to come off. Don't ever, ever, ever try to help him shed or try to start the shed peeling off, as you'll hurt him badly and cause a bad infection. That's one of the main causes of Tail Roth, ripped-off toes, and horrible, deep wounds. You just have to let him do his thing. I've not ever seen a Dragon who started a shed and got "stuck" in the shed...They can sometimes have some "Retained Shed", but that typically happens in small patches after the shed is over, and you can help that off by giving them a warm bath and putting some Coconut Oil on the patches of Retained Shed.

But as far as a Full-Body Shed or even an entire full-area shed, meaning an entire leg, tail, their head or back, etc., they will not get "stuck" inside it, it's simply that it's not ready to go yet.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
A normal shedding cycle can take a couple weeks to go from the initial milky/grey faze to when the old skin is ready to slough off.

Retained sheds are generally caused by dehydration or illness and can be a little tricky to identify, it is more common in places like the tail and toes but possible other places too. The texture and color of these areas will be different than normal skin, but it’s hard to describe. When I got my first guy he’d recently had part of his tail amputated as it had been damaged by the retained shed constricting it. He still had about 2” of retained shed that I didn’t even realize was shed until it started to loosen after many warm soaks. It took more warm soaks and gently massaging the area to let moisture between the layers to get it to come off. Areas that start to look too tight (again tail and toes) maybe due to retained shed.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I've had a few sheds go on for a month or so, as long as humidity is good beardies don't generally get stuck shed. That is if its a normal scale, and probably leatherback. Silkies have a harder time shedding so they need extra care for it.

If your worried you could do a lukewarm 10-15 minute bath, then rub coconut oil (type you cook with) on the area with shed afterwards to hydrate the skin and keep it from drying out.
For me this worked very well and within 1-2 days my juveniles body shed already had began coming off when it most likely would last for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom