How can I not scare my baby bearded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbolish

So I just got a baby bearded about a week ago and he has been slowly building up an appetite but I am having troubles in my method of feeding. I have tried putting them in separate containers (scratches frantically and walls and ignores food), taking everything out of the tank (looks confused and scared), and just dropping them in there (has trouble finding them). I feel like he's hungry but too scared or on edge to eat when I come over to his tank. How can I get him to stop being so scared of me that he just focuses on the food in front of him?

MsCarter

Juvie Member
He is still very new and probably still experiencing some relocation stress. Just move very slow, let him get to know your voice and such before overwhelming him. He will eat more once he is a little more settled in. Some dragons have a harder time adjusting than others and that's okay. For him it may be best to put his insects in a bowl and put that in his enclosure instead of removing him.

You can start placing your hand in his enclose and leaving it there for a few minutes a day. You can also pet him a few times a day if he's comfortable with it. This will help him to get to know you without feeling overwhelmed. Also make sure he sees your hands sitting his food in his enclosure. This will help him to begin relating you to positive things like food.
Try not to worry, this is quite common and your little one will eventually come around.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Don't stand where he is focusing on you instead of the food. Watch from afar if your wanting to see if its eating. Develop bonding time when the dragon isnt trying to eat. Sounds like he is too disturbed by your presence to eat. Once he/she gets use to you it probably won't be an issue.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
I agree with Rankins^
You can let him see you sit the food in than I would back off. My dragon was this way for the first couple of weeks too. We had to leave her alone so she would eat, but now she will eat from my hand. Your little one will come around once he's more comfortable with you.

Jumbolish

Original Poster
Thank you so much everyone! I figured it was just part of acclimating but figured I'd ask anyways in case there was a better way to feed him. Today he ate 10 crickets from my feeding tongs so I think he's starting to not hate me!

EDIT: This is a follow up question. My bedroom is where my beardie's tank is and the TV is on 70% of the day, constant door opening/closing, movement outside the tank. Is this too stressful for my beardie? I have a background but I feel like I see him jump every time there's a loud noise.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like things are progressing in the right direction.
As for the noise and activity in the room...if the dragon appears stressed by it, try to reduce the volume on the TV and minimize activity around the tank for awhile. In time he/she should acclimate. The best way to monitor it is by observing your dragons behavior. Take baby steps until acclimation is achieved. It will all work out in the end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom