How Can I Handle My Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have looked for posts similiar to the issues I am having, but was having a hard time finding things that were helpful. So excuse me if I am posting something redundant, if there is another topic that would benefit me to read, please point me to it, if you could. :)

I am new to having a Dragon, and certainly a baby Dragon, I kind of wanted to start out with a baby because I felt it would give me the opportunity to build a bond earlier. Plus it would allow me to hopefully have a longer life span with him.

I love Bearded Dragons, but I do have this underlying fear of being bit, even with my dragon Saber, I still have this fear, I have been overcoming it little by little, but I am afraid I am not doing enough? Or that we should be closer than we are. I have only had him since May, so I know he is still getting used to me, and learning to not be afraid of me.

I think he likes me, but I can't really tell. I think he knows his name and likes it when I come around to talk to him.

My biggest fear is that I read that they dislike being in their enclosues, that they like to be out and social. I would love to get to that point with him. Some mornings when I am sleeping, he is clawing at the glass, and I was wondering if it is because he wants out? I don't want him to be isolated, lonely, or bored.

I still have a fear of him biting me, are there some helpful tips of getting past this? I handle him in his enclosure, I pick him up and hold him in there and talk to him until he jumps off. I try to do this at least once everyday, but most days it is two to three times. I have also handled him while giving him all of his baths, but that is the extent we are at right now.

Also, because he is still a baby, I am afraid of him getting lost or scurrying away. Unfortunately, and I know, bad care taker points for me, but my room is not Beardie proof yet, especially for a baby. :oops: I am still working on that. So I was wondering, what can you do with a baby, where can you have them out that is safe and enjoyable for them? If I try to put him on my shoulder will he attack my face? lol Can you even take babies out and do things with them, or is he still too little.

He is such a sweet and curious little guy, I don't think he would hurt me, but we are still having some issues unfortunately. :roll:

a good question, and important no doubt.

Handling a bearded dragon is not as hard as one might think. A beardie, by its nature is relatively docile. Wild specimens can be picked up in the Australian bush. There bite is nothing to worry about, ive never been bite by a bearded dragon ever. Id tell you to worry about being bitten if you are getting an agressive species like a monitor or whatnot

dont worry about this happening: http://youtu.be/4vwlyizMMtU

Starting getting the reptile acclimatized to your presence by petting him, if he scurries away, wait intill he stops running and pet again. Do this a few times and then pick him up, slide your hand underneath his head and pick him up from the bottom. NEVER make a beardie, or any reptile for that matter, feel trapped and cornered when you are picking them up, it will stress a beadie out (any more aggressive species may be inclined to bite when held tightly with no where to go)

pick him up and go watch tv with him! just let him crawl around on the couch or you lap. if he really starts to try and run, put him back in the cage, feed him (by hand if possible) and do the whole thing over again the next day.

Beardies are a such a joy because of there docile nature.

you also may want to do a google search for "bearded dragon Body language" read the articles on it and you will understand your reptile 100000% better.

hope this helps!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You sound like you are doing a great job. Handling him in his tank is a great start and you should be getting an idea of how open he is to contact. It sounds like he is quite relaxed. Dragons glass dance because they don't understand the see-thru barrier and are trying to go thru it. It can mean his habitat is out of balance so check your temps and lights first, but it could also just be that he want to go somewhere other than where he is. He may be more interested in climbing up on your hand at those times, but he may also be more interested in exploring too. Dragons most likely do not get feelings of loneliness but they may get bored. Having a large cage with furniture to climb on and enrichment in the cage can help for those times you can't take him out. How big is your little one and his home?

Little dragons are harder to handle because they tend to be skittish. Handling in the evening when he is tired may be easiest - but some dragons don't try so hard to run away. You'll get to know if you have a runner or not pretty quick. A small space like a bathroom or walk in closet may be easy to dragon proof to let him wander around. Even sitting in the bathtub with him will let him feel more in control but keep him safe.

Don't worry much about being bitten unless your dragon shows signs of aggression. That would be things like lunging and trying to come at you, basically attacking you. Generally (and it sound like your little one too) dragons are super calm and do not bite. Gaping as hissing are normal defensive behaviors and unlikely to get you bit unless you put your finger in the dragons face. Not to scare you, but it's important to recognize that dragon bites do hurt and can cause damage, they have very sharp teeth and very strong jaws. Bites are really uncommon - personally I've only gotten been nipped when prying open the mouth or feeding small food from my fingers, so it was basically an accident/my fault. Again, it's not typical for a dragon to bite. You can buy tongs to feed from to help dissociate your fingers from food if you like.

TracyLee

I have a fallow up question on these same lines. I've had my baby about 4 weeks. At first she was awesome and easy to handle. Climbed into our hands (my 17 yr old also handles her) and seemed to enjoy being handled. The last week it's like she's become afraid of us. When I reach in to feed or pet her she runs off and hides. Her basking rock was originally for geckos but I have laid it down. She will run into the holes on the rock so she's inside it and can't be seen. No one has dropped her or handled her roughly. She's eating great and enjoys her baths. I just cleaned her cage this morning and she's pooping great. Not sure if I should keep pushing her and handling her or give her a few days break.

DevilsLittleSister

Original Poster
Sorry for the very late reply. I have been trying out the suggestions you both have provided for me, thank you very much Taterbug and RockSteady.

I think I have been making progress with him, he is such a happy and relaxed guy, I think he is feeling a little less stressed when I pick him up, and have been able to have him just sit on me for awhile.

How big is your little one and his home?

He is in a 20 gallon at present. He really needs to be in a bigger enclosure, he is outgrowing it quickly. I am working on getting him into something bigger, and trying to do my research, so his next will be better than the one he is in now.

As far as his glass dancing, he still seems to be doing it a lot. His temperatures seem normal, and he seems to be doing better after dealing with a recent parasite scare. So I am not sure what it could be, other than him probably needing more room?

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Smaug did bite me, once, not long after we got him. He was freaked out by one of the cats, and I got too close to his face, and he got my nose. I laughed - it was funnier than it was painful. :lol: He was maybe 2 months old at the time, and he's never done it since. Had the cat not just been all up his kool-aid, he probably never would have done it. They really are pretty docile creatures!

I agree - the evening is the best time to handle. We started with Smaug near bedtime. I would wrap him up in a face towel (to keep him warm and "safe") and take him into the front room. As I sat on the sofa and watched TV, he would lay on me and go to sleep. Now, if I can't do it, for whatever reason, at night, he goes into his cave and pouts, like, "Fine. I'll just crawl into my cave and put myself to bed since you're so busy." :lol:

DevilsLittleSister

Original Poster
I love the name Smaug, that is very cute. :)

Lately he has been acting standoffish. Every time I go to pick him up he immediately scurries and the other day I couldn't tell if he was gaping at me, or if he was just doing it in general. He also seemingly puffed his beard a different day, but I am not really sure. He has just been a bit more difficult to handle and I have left him alone.

I have read a little about Beardie puberty, and he is a little over four months old. I was wondering if this could possibly be the cause?

Is there anything I can do to make this process easier? Especially because he just a major shed and his enclosure really needs to be cleaned out, which is hard when he won't let me pick him up to move him.

I work the night shift, so in the evening when he is falling asleep, I am work unfortunately, and by the time I get home, he has long since been asleep. Perhaps I can give evening handling a go on the weekends.

DevilsLittleSister

Original Poster
Also-I forgot to mention, that he is clawing at the glass so adamantly everyday, more so than before. Especially in the morning, is there something I can do to decrease this?

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
DevilsLittleSister":3qj8k508 said:
I love the name Smaug, that is very cute. :)

Lately he has been acting standoffish. Every time I go to pick him up he immediately scurries and the other day I couldn't tell if he was gaping at me, or if he was just doing it in general. He also seemingly puffed his beard a different day, but I am not really sure. He has just been a bit more difficult to handle and I have left him alone.

I have read a little about Beardie puberty, and he is a little over four months old. I was wondering if this could possibly be the cause?

Is there anything I can do to make this process easier? Especially because he just a major shed and his enclosure really needs to be cleaned out, which is hard when he won't let me pick him up to move him.

It turns out that Smaug is actually a girl, but I loved the name, so my son calls her Smaugette, and I call her Smaugarita or Smauggie-girl. :lol:

They gape to regulate body temp, so it's hard to say if it was directed at you.

I have read that you are not supposed to pick up BDs from above (they think they are getting scooped up by a predator). Is that how you are picking him up? I think you are supposed to just hold out your flattened palm and they will climb onto it, but mine never got that memo; I scoop her from above, and she seems fine with it. :dontknow:

If he's only 4 months, he's young, and I think that it isn't too late to get him used to it. This is my first BD though, and she's been pretty friendly from the get-go. Is there a way that you can take him out and have him near you, without actually holding him? Maybe he just needs to get used to your presence, first.

Good luck! Don't give up yet!

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
We bought a zippered pouch (think it's for a sugarglider) that is ventilated with a long strap for carrying. Maybe you could put him in something like that, and carry him around with you around the house or put it next to you on the sofa while watching TV, etc. It seems like he wants out (scratching at glass) and that would be the safest way to do it. He would also be near you.

About the scratching, how are the temps in the enclosure? Sure it's not too hot?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
DevilsLittleSister":3axyaen4 said:
Also-I forgot to mention, that he is clawing at the glass so adamantly everyday, more so than before. Especially in the morning, is there something I can do to decrease this?

Can you give us a run down of your setup? We can help rule out environments things (like heat or lights) he may be trying to get away from. They have a few reasons they do it. Have you tried getting him out when he is glass dancing?

DevilsLittleSister

Original Poster
Can you give us a run down of your setup? We can help rule out environments things (like heat or lights) he may be trying to get away from. They have a few reasons they do it. Have you tried getting him out when he is glass dancing?

He is in a 20 gallon, I really need a bigger enclosure for him, I am lacking in the funds, but my goal is within the next couple of weeks.

His substrate is newspaper for the time being.

His lighting is, Reptisun 10.0 UVB and a 100w basking bulb.

About the scratching, how are the temps in the enclosure? Sure it's not too hot?

His temperatures vary from 107-113 under his basking spot during the day, still have not figured out the fluctuation. And then around 85 on the cool side. I am not sure what they were exactly today (or I guess yesterday, technically) I will have to check and update that later.

We bought a zippered pouch (think it's for a sugarglider) that is ventilated with a long strap for carrying. Maybe you could put him in something like that, and carry him around with you around the house or put it next to you on the sofa while watching TV, etc. It seems like he wants out (scratching at glass) and that would be the safest way to do it. He would also be near you.

That seems like it could be a neat idea, I will have to look into one, thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have read that you are not supposed to pick up BDs from above (they think they are getting scooped up by a predator). Is that how you are picking him up?

It is hard because he is in a glass enclosure, where the top screen comes out, so coming from the top of the enclosure, I try my best to find a way to scoop him from the side. There have been times in the past where I have needed to pick him up from more of a top angle. He seemed perfectly fine though. Maybe I missed it. :-?

Is there a way that you can take him out and have him near you, without actually holding him? Maybe he just needs to get used to your presence, first.

This is what I have been trying to contemplate actually. I don't have many places that I can take him. I have taken him into the bathroom, because it was cleaner and a bit more confined, but it was crammed, and there wasn't really anywhere for him to walk around. I thought about maybe putting him on my bed with me, but I am afraid he may try to jump off or fall behind it or something. Though in the bathroom he hasn't really tried to get away from me.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
DevilsLittleSister":3kgl8yrk said:
His temperatures vary from 107-113 under his basking spot during the day, still have not figured out the fluctuation. And then around 85 on the cool side. I am not sure what they were exactly today (or I guess yesterday, technically) I will have to check and update that later.

It is hard because he is in a glass enclosure, where the top screen comes out, so coming from the top of the enclosure, I try my best to find a way to scoop him from the side. There have been times in the past where I have needed to pick him up from more of a top angle. He seemed perfectly fine though. Maybe I missed it. :-?

This is what I have been trying to contemplate actually. I don't have many places that I can take him. I have taken him into the bathroom, because it was cleaner and a bit more confined, but it was crammed, and there wasn't really anywhere for him to walk around. I thought about maybe putting him on my bed with me, but I am afraid he may try to jump off or fall behind it or something. Though in the bathroom he hasn't really tried to get away from me.

Those temps seem high, but he is young, and younger BDs do need a highter temp, so I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more experience on here can help with that.

My enclosure is the same - top slides out for access inside, which is why I usually pick mine up the same way. Sometimes she will flatten herself out - like she's trying to blend in with her surroundings or something and stay safe. I feel bad when she does it, but having a tank that opens from the top is a problem! I dream about making a bigger enclosure with front access!

I can't let her out of the tank without serious supervision ... Too many places to hide under and too many cats! I would definitely look into a pouch-thingy. Another suggestion would be to start taking him out at bedtime, which is what we did. Her lights are turned on at about 7 a.m., so at around 6:30 p.m., we would wrap her up in a little towel (secure and warm) and just lay her on top of whoever had her. I usually did it while I watched TV and I would lay her on my leg or chest. She would shuffle about and then settle down to sleep, peeking at me every now and then. Over time, I think it helped her realize that I wasn't some kind of evil giant. :lol:

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
honestly it sounds you are off to a great start just handling in the tank and all. the bites are nothing to worry of! I've been bitten and it won't draw blood or even leave a bruise.

when you want to pick him up, approach him from the front. gently lift his front legs and place them on your hand. then scoot him up so his back end is on your hand too. to get him used to you just go slowly and pet him and all! you could let him sleep on you or sit on the bed with him.

also I have read newspaper isn't the best idea because of the inks in it. you'd have to research some more to be sure. I'd recommend paper towels though

You might try going on Youtube and searching "bearded dragon handling" - there are a few on there and maybe you could get some more tips. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom