Household light along with MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookalfie

Hi there, I'm fairly new to the site... I do more reading than posting :study:

I just switched to a MVB (suspended above the viv about 18" from the highest structure inside) but I find that my cool side is quite dark during the daytime (my viv is 80 gal, and quite wide), so I would like to lighten it up with a regular household light bulb suspended above the viv so that I don't get too much heat there (my temps are good right now - 101 on warm side, 76-78 on cool side). Does anyone know if the new "energy efficient" (I guess they're compact fluorescent?)household bulbs are safe, or should I go with a regular incandescent?

Thanks! :)

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
From what I've learned about them, they should be safe, unless they break due to the mercury inside the bulb. To me, the way you have to dispose of them, they are a waste of $ as they don't last very long, at least the ones I bought lasted less than 1 year, the regular house bulbs last at least 3 or 4 times longer then the energy saver ones I bought. You could use a regular fluorescent bulb, they add extra light without adding any heat.

pookalfie

Original Poster
Hmmm, that makes sense. You're right... I've also found that they don't last very long - they start dimming very quick. They're all we have on hand right now (my husband is keen on switching everything to energy efficiency :mrgreen: ) so I wanted to make sure they were safe. Regular fluorescent sounds like a good idea though... I may just go with that.

thanks!! :D

Gary251

HI, I just did the same as you! I just added an energy efficient bulb to brighten up mine as i read that they are most active in brighter inclosures and mine was looking a bit dull at the cool end as the UVB isn't brightening up much of the tank. Think the bulb I used uses 11 watt enery but gives out light that a 60w would! and he is looking better already, brings out a nicer colour in my beardie because before he was quite dark brown and "camouflage" looking. He still has stress marks on him though:( they only go away when hes out the tank lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom