Horrific problem with heating lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
My lamp is literally melting the screen and the melted stuff get on the actual bulb and it makes it melt more and two days ago I touched with a baby wipe to wipe off the stuff and it EXPLODED! it cut my finger pretty bad and Im just lucky it did not get my eye or neck. But anyways should I cut arund the heat lamp or will it insted of melting the screen will it coock my beardy. It says its only 100 in there. I bought a new lamp and its happening again. Urgent reply please.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
What is the wattage of the bulb that you have in?
You definitely dont want that stuff dripping on the beardie.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Can you buy a bigger lamp for the bulb? If the lamp extends past the bulb, it will not touch the screen.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, melting the screen! Are you sure the temps are only 100F? Just checking cause I am using a 60 watt bulb for a 75 gallon and getting basking temps of 105-110F, but when testing bulbs and the heat got over 140F, it was still not enough to melt the screen.

Yeah, I agree with LJean get a larger dome lamp, so the bulb is away from the screen, or you can build a post to adjust the light height.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i am guessing that you were using fiberglass screen and that will melt very easily. you can melt it with a 60 watt in less than a minute so 150w will do even quicker. you need to get aluminum screen , especially if the bulb will be withing a few inches of it or even on top of it. the reason why your bulb exploded is probably because of the super hot temp of the bulb and a thermal/chemical reaction of the baby wipe. never wipe a hot bulb and never use any thing but a damp rag to wipe it.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well to be quite honest with you I ended up cutting the screen and that seemed to do the trick. My guy even seems to like it more that way I saw him bask more today and he looked so happy. But yes as one of you said the light is extending past the dome. i bought the dome not the light with the beardedragon delux kit from pet co. It seemed to do the trick although from what I know now I paid way too much for it. It was a 20 inch tank. the domes which I found out did not work with the reptisun 10 and the nightlamp was not needed so i paid 200 for a tank a dome and regualr light bulb. Which is bullshi* I have no idea what type of screen it is tho. He is going to upgrade to a new cage soon and that is when I will get him a new dome.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh and when ever i use 60 watts or something less then 150 it only goes to 60 degrees in there because the dome is 150 watts as well. But ya cutting the scren did the trick.

spyder86

Hatchling Member
150 is way overkill, if i put that in there i cant get the temp below 130, try getting a zoo med back spot bulb and a clamp lamp see how that works. some picks of your set up would be helpful to figure it out.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
cxerphax":081af said:
Oh and when ever i use 60 watts or something less then 150 it only goes to 60 degrees in there because the dome is 150 watts as well. But ya cutting the scren did the trick.

this may sound like a dumb question but....

are you working in Fahrenheit or Celsius?? the reason I ask is because with the bulbs you are using, 60 Celsius sounds about right and that is waaaaaaaaay too hot. That is actually 140 Fahrenheit.

If you are working in Fahrenheit, be sure that your thermometer is not set to Celsius by accident.

cxerphax

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh and I would put picks but my buddy from school still has my camera for some project me and him were working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom