Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how much a hornworm weighs in grams? I am trying to figure out how many crickets equal one hornworm. Also, how easy is it to make a hornworm colony? Is there a way to make hornworm food? Where is the best place to buy them? What supplies do you need for hornworms? Just curious and hoping to find some answers!

mommacude

Hatchling Member
They are easy to care for, and my beardie loves them, but making a colony isn't really like making, say, a dubia colony. If you want them to breed and lay eggs you are going to have to have quite a large setup, since you'll need to let them eclose under the ground, then emerge, fly around and lay eggs. I have 3 chrysalis now that my dragon didn't eat. I can't see them well enough to know if they're male, female. I'm not sure what I'll do once they emerge. I don't want to release them into the wild, and I only have a butterfly net that's pretty small which I used to raise black swallowtails once for fun. If you want them I could send them to you. They're in some coconut "stuff" that I had bought to go into my dragon's viv before I decided on tile.

BksBeardie

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! Zirilan is still 10 weeks old, it was more of an idea that I randomly thought of, as I have seem hornworms can be used as staples. I don't know where I would put the chrysalis, and I don't know where to put the eggs! I wouldn't release them into the wild, they might find tomato plants, and I have know clue where they live! 10 grams doesn't sound like such, but that is how much they weigh! :lol: :lol: I don't want to spend a ton of money on hornworm food, I was hoping they would eat veggies, lol.

mommacude

Hatchling Member
BksBeardie":1fx0cphx said:
Thanks for the help! Zirilan is still 10 weeks old, it was more of an idea that I randomly thought of, as I have seem hornworms can be used as staples. I don't know where I would put the chrysalis, and I don't know where to put the eggs! I wouldn't release them into the wild, they might find tomato plants, and I have know clue where they live! 10 grams doesn't sound like such, but that is how much they weigh! :lol: :lol: I don't want to spend a ton of money on hornworm food, I was hoping they would eat veggies, lol.
When I buy hornworms I buy them in a cup that includes their food. My understanding is they shouldn't be their staple. You can use silkworms for a staple but if you don't have access to mulberry leaves that can get pricy too.

The Dubia are a great choice. Easy and cheap once it's set up. I wish my dragon would eat em again. I'm going to try tomorrow to see if he will show interest again.

BksBeardie

Original Poster
mommacude":3oao4ruu said:
BksBeardie":3oao4ruu said:
When I buy hornworms I buy them in a cup that includes their food. My understanding is they shouldn't be their staple. You can use silkworms for a staple but if you don't have access to mulberry leaves that can get pricy too.

The Dubia are a great choice. Easy and cheap once it's set up. I wish my dragon would eat em again. I'm going to try tomorrow to see if he will show interest again.

I hope he sees interest! My baby loves his roaches, and would prefer them to crickets! Silkworms are good, but I don't thing with all that is in my house that getting something extremely high in calcium is the best thing. I am hoping to get a dubia colony someday, but that day may have to wait for some time :lol: :roll: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom