Hornworms too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masontg

Hi everybody,

So my beardie I think just recently got over relocation stress. He went from eating about 6 crickets and 5 phoenix worms a day to about 20 crickets and 15 phoenix worms in just under a week. Because of this sudden increase in appetite, I actually ran out of phoenix worms and my next batch isn't getting in until at least Tuesday.

So I went to the reptile store and bought some hornworms to tide him over but I brought them home and realized these things are HUGE. Not so much in terms of width (only about a cm wide) but they're an inch and a half to two inches long. My beardie is growing like mad but he's only about 8" from head to tail (he does have a big head though :lol: ) but I was wondering if these horn worms are too big to feed him? I dropped one in earlier and he LOVED it and went on to eat another 5-6 crickets after but got full from it pretty quickly, which I don't blame him. So is it safe to feed these big worms to my baby dragon? I've heard they're soft bodied and don't really pose a problem for impaction but I'm wondering just how much the "space between the eyes" rule can be stretched here. Thanks!

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
As long as they are not the HUGE hornworms they should be fine. My dragons all love hornworms and have been eating them from the time they were very small I just feed small dragons small horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom