Hornworms, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Just ordered some hornworms, 2 habitat cups of smalls (24+ ea) and 50 eggs+ 1/2 lb of dry food...

I use a mini fridge converted to incubator for my eggs, but no eggs at this time...

figuring I can set the incubator at 82 and put the worms and eggs in there...

good idea or not? Wondering if the humidity will be okay with the cups alone in the incubator or they actually need to be out in free air situation...

romanfj

Hatchling Member
I believe supers do fine at 50% humidity, give or take a bit. In most regions of the country, that is the average humidity level in the air. It's drier in the deserts and wetter close to the Great Lakes, southern swamps and Washington state. Depends on where you live.

As for needing air, if you open the door to the fridge once a day (probably once a week, to tell the truth), the eggs or larvae will get enough fresh air exchange. The larvae aren't respiring enough, nor will you have enough of them, to consume 19 cubic feet of air in a day. As a comparison, I know of snake breeders who incubate eggs in sealed Tupperware containers, opening them once daily to let in fresh air, and this is for a clutch of 25 developing snakes. Snakes use a lot more O2 than superworms. :D

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom