Hornworm Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, these things are CREEPY!

Ok, so I placed my first order with mulberryfarms (after I got sick and tired of premium) and I got my order today. They are (were?) running a special where you get free hornworms or silkworms with a cricket/super order of 1,000, so I asked for some horns. I knew these could be large, but they vary so drastically. I got about 10 of them in a deli cup (not the pods that I have seen) with some sort of strange dirt on the bottom and some pellets (I assume chow) and a strange screen thing to keep them off the dirt.

Thats cool that I got them free, I've been wanting to try them. But they weird me out. They stick to everything, and you have to yank them off of their cup and they have a HORN! Is that horn safe? I fed Blaze one horn worm at lunch along with her regular salad and a few butter worms. But, now, at dinner, I put another in (before I gave her crix) and she just looked at it. She won't touch it. :?

I can take these to the reptile/wildlife sanctuary (that I recently found and started volunteering at, YAY!!) if she won't eat them, but they are such strange little critters. I know some of you guys use them, what do you think of them? Do I keep them at room temperature? They didn't come with any instructions.

neecie

Juvie Member
I've been ordering "hornies" from Mulberry. The instructions are on the bottom of the pods I get. When you keep the pod upside down on an angle to let the air in. The crumbs are poop, and the clay stuff is the food.
Those horns are soft and don't hurt, but they have so many legs that they "cling tightly"............then they grow fast and become strong grips. I picked one up with my fingers and felt the effect of the grab. My 7 month old will eat one, then is full. 2 have gotten so big that I'm afraid (despite them being soft). I ordered silkies in 2 pods as well, and have all under a 40 watt lightbulb to stay worm. I'm at the trial and error portion of ordering worms - trying to have a supply, not too many, not too small, not run out. Hope to get better at ordering in a timely manner.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for responding.
I just got a 'trial' pack of them, I guess, since they didn't come in their typical pods. I can keep them on top of Blaze's cage for warmth, but do you think room temp would be ok?

Crap, that clay stuff is food? They sent a ton of it, then.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
NegativeCreep":7e46d said:
They have to as all the horned worm does is eat and poop. :)
Make sure that you empty the poop daily or even twice a day.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":ff1b7 said:
NegativeCreep":ff1b7 said:
They have to as all the horned worm does is eat and poop. :)
Make sure that you empty the poop daily or even twice a day.

Can do! Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom