Hornworm food with maggots! Are worms safe to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Okay, I've bought hornworms multiple times online and have never had a problem with them. Recently I was super excited that the local reptile shop started carrying them so I don't need to pay shipping!

I bought a tub of 15 of them late last week and of course the worms are growing, but I noticed today that there are little tiny white worms crawling all over the food and almost out of the tub! Eewe! :puke: I called the reptile shop and they said they are likely maggots, and not baby hornworms, and that I was supposed to refrigerate the food! WHAT?!?! I have never refrigerated the food before! Granted it is warmer here in MN now, and I guess it makes sense, but how was I supposed to refrigerate the food, but not the worms when they come in the tub that they do? Has anyone else had this issue?? I have already fed my beardie about 7 of them before I noticed them today.

Second question is....can I still feed off the 7 horn worms I have left to my beardie? Is it safe? What other food can I feed the horn worms??

Gail

BD.org Addict
The horns should be safe, I would feed them. Are the maggots really small and digging through the food? Its very possible they are fruit fly maggots and are harmless.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes they were very small and very wiggly, and they were eating the food. I tossed the whole thing out, but kept the hornworms. There are about 5 left. Is there anything I can feed them over the next couple days before they themselves become food? :wink:

Thanks for the help!

Gail

BD.org Addict
As far as I know, they won't eat anything else, at least nothing that is safe for a dragon. You could have kept the food, the maggots are harmless.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh well! Good to know. I guess the dragon gets overindulged for a couple of days! Spoiled rotten! (No pun intended!) :lol:

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'm sure he will enjoy that:) for future reference, fruit flt maggots aren't on the food because its spoiled, they just like soft, wet food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom