Homemade Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Hello! I’m looking to potentially build a new enclosure for my beardie. Could you post pictures of your homemade or handbuilt enclosures? If you could give me any advice on safe materials and the best type of tile that isn’t too slick but easily cleanable? She has a hard time getting around on smooth tile. What kind of sealants and woods are safe to use? What are some essential things I should include on the outside enclosure itself? How would you recommend building the lid, to where I can safely mount a uvb inside but also provide adjustable heat sources. I want my heat lamp to not have to be in a fixed spot, I want to be able to raise and lower it but I’m not sure how to build the top of the enclose to accommodate to this. Any advice or pictures for ideas would be AMAZING! Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Check out the DIY section of this forum.

In the section, I created a giant list of all of our members DIY builds. It's stickied at the top. :)

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1nlufq2m said:
Check out the DIY section of this forum.

In the section, I created a giant list of all of our members DIY builds. It's stickied at the top. :)

-Brandon

I will thanks!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
RyuksMama":2rkg3ikd said:
Hello! I’m looking to potentially build a new enclosure for my beardie. Could you post pictures of your homemade or handbuilt enclosures? If you could give me any advice on safe materials and the best type of tile that isn’t too slick but easily cleanable? She has a hard time getting around on smooth tile. What kind of sealants and woods are safe to use? What are some essential things I should include on the outside enclosure itself? How would you recommend building the lid, to where I can safely mount a uvb inside but also provide adjustable heat sources. I want my heat lamp to not have to be in a fixed spot, I want to be able to raise and lower it but I’m not sure how to build the top of the enclose to accommodate to this. Any advice or pictures for ideas would be AMAZING! Thank you!
That's a lot, but I'll try.
Here's mine.
105703-709706066.jpg
Not shown is an 8" high compartment on top for wiring, extra bulbs & supplies, etc.

And here's my lighting & basking.
105703-5098756524.jpg
The basking lamp is in fixed position, but it is an aim-able eyeball fixture. There are lots of other types of aimable/movable fixtures--just something to consider.
One 75W incandescent flood heats the whole 5' x 2' x 2' (¾" Baltic Birch plywood) shebang to 80-90F; basking temps vary as shown. The older he's gotten, the lower the basking temps he prefers. There is still too much heat from that one bulb, so there's a thermostatically-controlled fan behind the "hot end" vent.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably use 1/2" Baltic Birch--this sucker is heavy.

Humidity is regulated by 20± plants in planters or in the back slate tile wall. Plants on the left side are an herb forest. All plants are beardie-safe. Keeps everything between 30-40% daytime and under 55% nighttime. Once or twice a week I may need to spritz the plants between waterings.

In general, hardwoods are safest; softwoods are not due to VOCs in the sap. But since it's a good idea to seal/finish everything anyway, that becomes less of an issue.
Sealers/paints: reptile safe paints finishes

I used a rough textured faux-slate ceramic tile--12" x 24" (5 of them)--no cement or grout. Fewer seams mean less leakage. Under the tile is textured shelf liner, taped at seams & borders to catch any leakage that makes it through. Loose tiles can be easily removed for cleaning.
I really didn't check out other tile materials for the floor. These weren't very expensive, and clean very easily with a wipe and spritz of Nature's Miracle for Stinky Dragons to disinfect.

My lid is fixed. Access is through the front sliding glass doors.

Basking "mountain" is just stacked bricks w/ slate caps/toppers. With those, a small granite boulder, and the rough tile floor, his claws/nails are maintained.

It's been a work in progress, but after all the refinements, I don't see much reason to change anything, except move a few plants around or slight changes in the mountain for "enrichment".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom