High humidity, how urgent is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
When I first tested the temperatures and humidity in Lyrica's terrarium last month, it seemed like the humidity levels were fine. A little under %40 like most sites recommend. But I forgot that Houston gets very humid when the summer showers arrive. Now the humidity is around %57 on the cool side and a bit lower, around %46 on the warm side. I attempted to visit my local Walmart to try and find a small dehumidifier but they only had the bigger ones that are overkill for a small room like mine. So I'll have to order a dehumidifier but it will take a few days for it to arrive.

My question is, how urgent is this problem? Lyrica isn't showing any real signs of a URI. No coughing, no mucus, no loss of appetite or lack of energy, no sneezing or snorting, no constant gaping and she seems to be breathing normally. Sometimes she does puff out her beard but only occasionally, usually in the morning and after she eats. You think she'll be okay until that dehumidifier arrives?

I'm having the same problem with humidity, i have been using one of the cheap gauges and its reading 65% so just in case i ordered a digital gauge and also got on ebay and ordered a mini dehumidifier to place in the tank as needed, i will let you know how its going with each item and if you want i can post on here the name of the dehumidifierwasnt very expensive

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
those levels of relative humidity are fine …. much more important to get the levels of UVA & UVB , and temperatures right.

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I'll likely have to get the dehumidifier anyway. I'd prefer the humidity to be lower. Lyrica looks fine but I don't want to run the risk any more than necessary. But if you're able to test that dehumidifier before Thursday then I'd love to hear the results.

Got the dehumidifier on tues humidity jumped to almost 80% that afternoon, ive had the dehumidifier in for 24 hrs and its now down to close to 40%. I got it on ebay its called eva-dry e.333 their are a few diffrent types made for gun safes some plug in to run but this one works without plugging in until its full then you plug into wall 10 hours to dry it out and then reuse without changing anything , its safe for pets and i just put it in the back of the tank on the bottom(small enough for me to hide it) glad i took the chance on it and i hope this has been helpful

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the humidity levels are fine as they are. If it doesn't feel really humid in the house to you then it shouldn't be much of a concern regarding a dragon.

The Eva Dry units work pretty well. I have one too and use it to reduce humidity in my bathroom which is prone to mildew. They hold up for a long time, I've had mine for several years now. They are best suited for small spaces though.

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Grandpajohn":3u8oe6dy said:
Got the dehumidifier on tues humidity jumped to almost 80% that afternoon, ive had the dehumidifier in for 24 hrs and its now down to close to 40%. I got it on ebay its called eva-dry e.333 their are a few diffrent types made for gun safes some plug in to run but this one works without plugging in until its full then you plug into wall 10 hours to dry it out and then reuse without changing anything , its safe for pets and i just put it in the back of the tank on the bottom(small enough for me to hide it) glad i took the chance on it and i hope this has been helpful

Cool, that's the one I was looking at. The only bad part is that I have to wait until July 3rd for it to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom