high all new bearded nut here

Status
Not open for further replies.

camt10

well decided on a bearded dragon,bought a book did some research. plan on setting up tank first then buy the dragon my setup will be unless others see an issue

40 gallon zilla breeder cage
24 inch reptison 10.0 intank mounting {are there different wattage}
slate tile substrate
75-100 watt houshold for basking {is there something better}
no night light temps in area around 80
basking log

any input appereciated thanks

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
that's an awesome start.
you need to get 2 probe thermometers, one to gauge your basking spot temperature, and one to measure the cool side of the tank.
you may also want to consider getting a secondary light for the cool side of the tank (put a low wattage house bulb in it to keep the temps up at 80-85)
I'd get your set up a few weeks in advance and set up your lighting and heating and work on it until you dial it in. my husband walked in on me staring at a lit up empty 40gl tank one day (i was sitting there waiting for the temps to heat up) and he thought i was crazy. but spending the time before the beardie shows up working on that makes one less thing to worry about when you get him or her. I'd get a nice basking rock with a nice flat surface from the yard, boil it for 20 minutes or so to kill anything living on it, and then set figure out what the basking spot temp will be on top of it. My basking rock is about 3 inches high and with a 75watt bulb it's about 95-98 degrees (you'll want it a little higher with a baby 105-110), which you can do by slightly elevating the rock with tiles underneath until it's just right.

The other thing you need to be prepared for is looking after your feeders.
Crickets are the usual suspects, but are expensive if you buy them for each feeding. Many order online in bulk, but then you need to keep them somewhere. a 10 gl tank works really well for this. petstores sell plastic critter keepers, but they are smaller. you need to 'gutload' the crickets before feeding them to the beardie with fishfood, oatmeal, veggies.
Consider starting a dubia roach colony (if you can stand having them in your house). They are easy to breed, and will save you a lot of money. lots of folks start the colony before the beardie as it can take 4-6 months to really get them going...check the board there are several threads with pictures on how to set these up.

ZeusAlmighty

Hatchling Member
Welcome to the forums! Seems like everything has been pretty much covered (that I can think of) so goodluck to you and your future beardie endeavours. :mrgreen:

camt10

Original Poster
thanks for the input im on my way

purchased
the 40g critter cage
log
8.5inch fixture for basking bulb
digi temp gauge with probe
food dish and water dish
going to use that green liner while hes small for substrate
ordered 24"reptison 10.0

i was supprissed in the local pet stores telling me all uvb lights the same and noone stocks the reptison.
what type of bulb used for basking im thinking regular 75w but i saw some basking bulbs

ZeusAlmighty

Hatchling Member
How many petstores did you check? There around probably 6 within a 15 miniute radius of my house and 3 of them told me they have never heard of Repti. Another told me to call back to one of the previous stores, and the final two did in fact have them.

camt10

Original Poster
well got setup done
basking site 100-103f 6-8 inches 100w household bulb

cool side 84-86
humidity 44%
measured by accurite and double checked with heat gun
do you guys leave thermometer setup in tank accurite 5 inches big and 4 wide ,was thinking of leaving exo digi in tank

ZeusAlmighty

Hatchling Member
I personally do not leave the thermo in tank, I do know of a lot of Beardie owners that do however and have not yet had any problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom