hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffynme

i have had my female for about 4 weeks now,she is around 14 months old.my question is she is always hiding,iv rearanged her tank so she cant hide but she has dug under some wood and just hides her head insyead!if i leave her she wont come out all day!my temps are all fine,she doesnt seem to eat much either?she has just started to blow her beard at me when i open the doors but i take no notice and stroke her anyway but she always looks frightend,as soon as i come close to her she shuts her eyes and looks like she is cringing.any tips?

tram

Im having the same problem,
my male dragon, hardley ever comes out during the day. hes about a year old. im really worried. i thought it was something to do with season change, but now im not sure.

let me know how it works out. good luck

bekki10

Minxie did the same thing with me, he still does it from time to time, i think he likes to keep me on my toes. But i recently introduced him to 2 other beardies and he has stopped. He does close his eyes when i stroke him sometime's, i thought i was doing something right lol

fluffynme

Original Poster
my female is in with my male,iv tried her on her own too but theres no difference,she also doesnt eat unless i take her out of hiding,she wont eat her veg unless i hand feed her them.all in all she doesnt seem very happy :( fluffy,my male,on the other hand is so greedy!tho neither of mine will eat fruit?and fluffy doesnt like any of the red leafy veg?strange. :lol:

schnookys

One thing that can make a huge difference is UVB lighting! You need a 10.0 UVB bulb that your dragon can get close to. I hang mine right in the cage. Since the bulbs do not get hot it is not a danger to them as long as I don't mist the electrical parts.

Another reason may be the other dragon, sounds like he may be more dominate. I almost lost one like that before, she was so submissive to the other she just stopped everything, gave up! I had to spoon feed her baby food, and seperate them, etc. Now she is so spunky all the time!

If you gave more details on the set up: size, temp, foods (specifics), etc it would help more, but the lighting and dominance/subbmission have been two huge factors I have worked with.

One last thing that my beardies love, and really has perked them up. I moved them out of tanks into wire rabbit/ferret cages! I know it is not the norm, but it amazing how much they love it! Since they are semi arboreal it gives them the room to climb. They run right up the side, just like climbing a ladder! The cage has removable platforms, so you can always redecorate! They can choose if they want to be 3 inches away from a basking/UVB spot or 2 feet away!

So good luck!

fluffynme

Original Poster
hi,i have a reptisun 10.0 in there and the tank is a wooden viv with glass doors,4ft x 2ft x 2ft.my male isnt v dominant,he bobs,she ignores,he gives up!she will shrug him off if he lays on her for to long and will move him if she wants his spot!she has been on her own and does the same thing. she perked up a bit when i put him in there but has gone back to hiding. i dont think she is brumating because she does sometimes come out and glass dance,so i let her out,or both out,and she will have a bit of an explore then find a sunny spot.it only seems to be when she is in her viv.she also hides in the hot end,not the cool end which makes me think its not brumation also.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
well the beardy is still new to you right? perhaps she needs to get used to you...One trick i use (its a cheap one) is in the evening after she has gone to bed, pick her up and hold her and stroke her. most beardies are very docile when they are sleepy, this will help build trust and get your beardy comfortable with eachother.

fluffynme

Original Poster
hi,iv been doing that and she is much better now.she doesnt hide and is quite happy to come and sit on my leg,this happend so quick!one day she would sit as far away as possible from me,the next she was strutting over to lay on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom