Hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 5 month old male beardie and he likes to hide all day. As you can see in the picture, the cave is under his basking spot so maybe that's why. He's temperatures are between 95-110 on the hot side. He is not afraid of me or doesn't have any stress marks, he enjoys my company and likes being handled. This leads to my question: Why is he hiding so much? Is this an issue? He eats normally and poops regularly.

Thank you for taking your time to answer this.

104669-2841760935.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The lighting in the tank plays a huge role in behavior and digestive--- what kind of UVB do you have in your tank and where is it? Brand of UVB and bulb? We can go from there--
Karrie

LeopoldTheLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1uam9217 said:
The lighting in the tank plays a huge role in behavior and digestive--- what kind of UVB do you have in your tank and where is it? Brand of UVB and bulb? We can go from there--
Karrie

I use a 10.0 UVB bulb which the pet store gave me. The brand is Reptisun. As you can see in the picture, it is in the middle of the tank near the basking light. The bulb also has reflectors so the light goes in the tank.

104669-9635188221.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its the UVB --- please change it out to one of these --- most on the forum recommends this type--
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this will change his behavior --- he needs to be basking at least 4 hrs under his lights-- I wish petstore people were more up to date on what they sell and what is good and what is bad!! I would get that UVB changed out ASAP --- what size tank do you have your little guy in?
Karrie

LeopoldTheLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":32jah3bz said:
Its the UVB --- please change it out to one of these --- most on the forum recommends this type--
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this will change his behavior --- he needs to be basking at least 4 hrs under his lights-- I wish petstore people were more up to date on what they sell and what is good and what is bad!! I would get that UVB changed out ASAP --- what size tank do you have your little guy in?
Karrie

It sucks to know I've been using the wrong lighting for almost 3 months now, the tank is 80cm long, 50 high and 45 wide (which is 40 gallons i think). I will buy the new light as soon as I can. Can he get ill from this? He didn't show any signs except the hiding.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes improper UVB will and can cause all kinds of illnesses-- eventually your gonna want to upgrade his tank--- to either a 75 or 120 gallon for full potential growth-- the lighting in the tank is crucial to his over all health digestive and behavior-- if you have any more questions or concerns please ask-- correct husbandry is key to a healthy dragon along w / diet---- what other advice did the petstore give you?
Karrie

LeopoldTheLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2af41kh1 said:
Yes improper UVB will and can cause all kinds of illnesses-- eventually your gonna want to upgrade his tank--- to either a 75 or 120 gallon for full potential growth-- the lighting in the tank is crucial to his over all health digestive and behavior-- if you have any more questions or concerns please ask-- correct husbandry is key to a healthy dragon along w / diet---- what other advice did the petstore give you?
Karrie

The petstore told me that the tank is big enough, but seeing how big he's gotten at 5 months i know i will have to change. Here's a picture of the tank which i forgot to post in the previous reply. I learned the most from this forum. He's getting the proper diet and digestion so far, but I don't want to risk it so i'll change the uv light. I thought hiding was part of the "going into puberty" but I noticed it happens everyday.

104669-6876989421.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The tank looks good but it wont be large enough for him -- he needs the floor space- there are lots of places you can get tanks -- when looking make sure you get one w/ doors on the front- I bought Hiccups last Dec from zenhabitats and it was $269 w/ free shipping -- it is very light and has bamboo sides and back here is the website www.zenhabitats.com-- they have since gone up in price to last I looked $329 and it comes w/ a different flooring now I think and you can get them w/ out the substrate shield of which I did cuz I use slated ceramic tile in my tank -- so I dont need the shield- that is for sand and sand is not recommended for dragons ------------impaction issues--- what ever you decide for UVB you will notice the difference in his behavior once its changed out-------
Karrie

LeopoldTheLizard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":375yy4i4 said:
The tank looks good but it wont be large enough for him -- he needs the floor space- there are lots of places you can get tanks -- when looking make sure you get one w/ doors on the front- I bought Hiccups last Dec from zenhabitats and it was $269 w/ free shipping -- it is very light and has bamboo sides and back here is the website http://www.zenhabitats.com-- they have since gone up in price to last I looked $329 and it comes w/ a different flooring now I think and you can get them w/ out the substrate shield of which I did cuz I use slated ceramic tile in my tank -- so I dont need the shield- that is for sand and sand is not recommended for dragons ------------impaction issues--- what ever you decide for UVB you will notice the difference in his behavior once its changed out-------
Karrie

Thank you for your help, I hope he will be basking more when i change the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom