Hiding. Should I still try and feed him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebonbon

Hatchling Member
I've missed the last couple cricket feedings because of my busy schedule all this week, so I was going to make sure to do it today. He's been hiding a lot more though. I just got home and was about to feed them, and he's hiding and under his little blanket. Should I just leave him alone still even though he's missed his last feeding? Should I try and at least offer him some?

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
How old is he? Babies/juveniles should be fed 3 times a day as much as they want to eat in about 10 mins or so. Once they get to adults, can cut it down to 2 times a day. You definitely should be offering him food if he's a baby. If he's an adult, I'd still offer him food. Harley is an adult and she sometimes will go a day with only eating a few pieces of collard green and maybe 1 roach but she is fat and in shed. As adults they sometimes will go a day without food and that's fine but babies/juveniles should be eating around 50-75 bugs a day.

As for hiding, is everything good in the cage like temps and UVB. You really don't want your dragon to "hide" much cause you want a social pet, not an antisocial one. The breeder I got Harley from told me to not put in any kind of hides for that very reason. You want them to bask and get used to you and what goes on. Plus as babies/juveniles, it's much easier to feed them with a less clutered cage so the bugs can't hide. When they get to adults, you can deck their cages out or just let your dragon wander the house/couch/whatever. By then they should be well adjusted and completely used to you and what goes on.

Firebonbon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've had him for over a year and he's very bonded to me. He's about 3 to 4 years old. Temps are as they have always been, with a 100 watt bulb and 10.0 Reptisun UV light. Which needs to be replaced next month.
He's been basking less and eating less, but still eats some when I offer him, so I was wondering because he might be going into brumation, and I don't want to have him on a full stomach if he does.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Well it's getting pretty warm here in the states so I would think he wouldn't be brumating. Maybe it's just a phase where he doesn't want as much food and wants to alone time. If he otherwise seems healthy and doesn't lose weight, I probably wouldn't worry too much unless it goes on for over a week. But you are right, if he is going in brumation, you definitely don't want him to have a full stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom