Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShanaSPutnam

Hi, I am new here and new to Beardies. My name is Shana. We just got a beardie for my son Blaze. His name is Spike, although I have no idea yet if he is a he or a she lol. I am looking forward to reading around here and getting the habitat just perfect. We have the basics right now and i have more stuff ordered. I do have him in a 20L but my husband is going to build a custom enclosure for Spike. Any tips are appreciated. :D

how old is spike? what kind of diet do you have him on? does spike have a uvb bulb? what arre your current temps? my beardie has a basking area with a temp of 110-115 degrees during the day. this was recommended to me by the pet store. you want a cooler side as well maybe around 80-90 degrees so spike can thermo regulate. and bask in the uvb bulb as well as chill in his pool (if he has one) also beardies cant see standing water so make sure you mist spike to keep him hydrated. if you can get him to drink from a waterbowl great maybe look into a recirculating water dish for him. at night time my beardie buzz his tank on the hot side drops to about 85 degrees. depending on the temp in my bedroom. also i leave his heat lamp on all night. beardies have a third eye on their heads that allow them to find the warmest or coolest spot in the tank to hang out in. make sure you dust his crickets once a week for proper calcium absorption becareful he doesnt overdose on vitamins. spike will need veggies as well as they are omnivores. try not to feed him mealworms as a staple they are hard on their digestive system and have a high fat content. make sure the temps are consistent as they use heat to properly digest. i have my lights on a timer bar that turns them on and off at night time. its on a 12 hour cycle. i think i have covered most of it if there is anyone out there that wants to add more or correct me if i may be wrong please do so. this forum has alot of information and any problems dont hesitate to post because the people on here are super helpful. i just went through a tragic event with my first beardie i gained alot of information from this site hopefully buzz and i have many years together.

ShanaSPutnam

Original Poster
I am not sure exactly how old he is. He is about 5ish inches long. I have a uva/uvb light and a basking bulb for day and a che for night. The temp on the hot side is right at 105 and the cool side is 93. I have crickets and I do have some mealworms as well but the crickets will be given more. I have fresh veggies for him as well. I have a few rocks in there he can bask on as well as a half log hide. For substrate I got a sand mat so it would have that sand/desert type feel without the danger of ingesting sand and impacting. I have a little container I will use for a warm bath a few times a week and i will mist him a bit in the mornings as well. I do not have a standing bowl of water in the tank. Lights are on a 12 hour timer as well.

sounds like you have a good setup going on and spike seems like he is going to be a spoiled little beardie. is that 5 inches long from snout to tip of his tail? also i feed buzz dusted crickets a couple times a week just so i know he gets enough calcium. MBD is a nasty illness that lizards get from not enough calcium. but sounds like you are set up perfect and as long as spike is alert, eating good and pooping then you dont have anything to worry about. i forgot to mention when feeding him make sure that you only feed him crickets that are no bigger than the space between his eyes because any bigger he could choke or become impacted also if his food is too big it puts pressure on his spinal cord that can cause paralysis because his stomach pushes against his spinal cord. im not trying to scare you just simple things to look out for. also try not to handle him for a few weeks this allows him to adjust to his routine and new home. handling him too soon and for periods longer than 20 minutes can stress him out. also a trick to get him to eat his veggies because like all kids he will refuse to eat them put a few mealworms in the bottom of his dish so he can see them through his salad and when he grabs the worms he gets salad too and will realize that its not that bad to eat lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom