Hi, new to Beardies and need a little help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Hi, I am new to this forum and have recently aquired a female beardie. Sydey is supposedly almost 8 months old and she is appx. 8 1/2 inches long. From what I understand, the previous owner did not understand the "needs" of a beardie. So, I understand she is a bit small for her age. She is a VERY good eater. I haven't seen her eat any greens yet, but hopefully I will find something she will like. She has started to shed some, so I think she is growing. Does anyone know of anything to help her catch up growth wise. She is starting to get a little potbelly :) but I am hoping she will get longer soon. Also, for some reason every now and then she climbs into her water bowl and scratches herself and it looks like she chases her tail. Is this her shedding? Or could it be mites? Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Melissa

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here's a pic (finally figured out how :) Sorry, pics are a little large:)

Melissa

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
She is looking extremely stressed. how long have had her?

And yes she is very small for her age. My female is 7 months and 17.5 inches. How is she doing as far as walking?

good worms would be hornworms - they will stimulate her appetite, silkworms if you can find them, phoenix worms and butter worms. You could even go with roaches if you can stomach them.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Age may not be correct, I bought her at a local pet store. The previous owner traded her in for other pet stuff. I may be stressing her out some. She doesn't seem like she was held very much. She hisses every time I pick her up. The only time she likes me is when I give her baths. I have had her about a month. She seems to have grown about 1 1/2 inches in that time. I try to hold her a few times a day to help her get used to me. She seems to walk fine, sometimes she kinda waddles. She's gained a little weight since I got her. She runs great though after food :)

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Hi,

One thing that helps them get use to you is the beardie burrito. Take her out just before her lights go out, when she is getting sleepy and wrap her in a small blanket or towel and then lay her on your chest for a whole while you watch tv. When you are done, put her in her enclosure still wrapped up. After a few days of this she should be fine.

What are you using for UVB?

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I believe it is a RepiSun 50 watt. It stays pretty warm in there and she stays by the heat. I may have to lower the light to warm it up a little more. The light is appx 18 inches from the lid. Also, she seemed to be starving when I got her and so I moved her up to medium crickets. She easily eats them and has finally tried squash baby food. I am going to check and make sure she can have sweet peas and try that tommorrow. The baby food is cheap so I can find out what she is willing to eat then I will step her up to fresh. I have noticed she has gotten kinda chunky. She is still pooing regularly, am I feeding her too much? She gets appx 2-3 mediums crickets in the am and 3-4 in the pm. Is this the right amount of crickets? I don't want her getting impacted. Also, how often do they shed? Thanks again!

Melissa

Picture007.jpg

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Can you check the bulb - the brand & number should be stamped on it. Is it a coil/compact or tube?

Make sure that the crickets you are offering are no bigger than the space between her eyes.

As babies they typically eat 50-100 crickets a day. So you are actually under feeding her.

What are your temps?

How are you taking them?

Where are you taking them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom