Hi from united kingdom!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzzaman

Hi, just thought id say hi. Joined today after a few weeks of browsing forums.. Bought my first ever bearded dragon about a month ago, and have never been so happy with a pet. He seems perfectly healthy at the moment, eating lots and poo'ing on me regulaly :p

He sits there sometimes with his mouth open, which i assume means he's hungry, but hes such a greedy begger and just wants to eat all the time. I think hes about 4 months old and is about 8 inch's from nose to tail. Shedding his skin regulaly which is good. Havent seen him drink from his bowl yet, but i assume he must be as he hasnt died yet..... I do drip some water on his nose sometimes just to encourage him to drink something.

Anyway, enough drivveling, just wanted to introduce myself... Sooooo.... HI! :p

Justin

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Hello and welcome :) Often dragons will sit with their mouths open as a way of regulating their body temperature.

juzzaman

Original Poster
Ah right :D

Well, do i assume this means he's too hot? Ive only gotten his basking temp upto 28 - 29 (82 - 84f)
I thought the optimum basking temp was 85 - 100f. The other side of the viv is 78f.
This ok? Sorry if wrong thread, just wanna make sure that he's setup ok...

Ta

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
What are you using to measure the temps in the tank?

You're right, the basking spot temp should be in the 95-110*F range. If your temps are actually only in the 80s then he's shouldn't be overheated. As long as his gaping (open mouth) isn't accompanied by any odd breathing sounds (i.e. clicks, wheezes, etc.) which could indicate a respiratory problem then I wouldn't worry about it. Young dragons do lots of strange things :) If there are any odd sounds associated with the open mouth, then you'd want to see a vet.

juzzaman

Original Poster
Im using the stick on temp things atm :S I know their not very good, but im debating on buying a big viv ready for him to grow into, so along with that, the digital types...

No sounds from him at all. Only time i ever hear a sound from him is when hes eating his food :p

Ah its a relief to know that Franks ok :p (lol at name)

Il upload some pics of him soon :D

Ta

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Those stick on strips can be off by as much as 20* in extreme cases. I'd pick up a digital thermometer with probe as soon as possible just to make sure you aren't overheating your dragon by accident. Around here they cost $10 or less, not sure about your neck of the woods though.

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Hi - where in UK are you? As you can see, I am in UK too. As Catalyst says, you really need to get a digital thermometer with probe. I got one on Ebay for about £7 I think it was. Your basking temp is too low so Frank won't be able to digest his good properly - you need to bump it up to 100 minimum. Your cool side is fine (if that temp is accurate).

juzzaman

Original Poster
Hi, im in sudbury suffolk. Ive got a digi thermometer (handheld) and ive plonked it on his wood where he sits below the light to get a temperature reading. Its reading 93 - 96 on his basking place. So this should be ok?

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Hi

Babies tend to like it a bit hotter - 105-110 so you could consider raising it a bit. Can you raise your basking platform a bit ?

juzzaman

Original Poster
Il give it a go, im going to get hold of a peice of wood to raise it. Atm using the fiddlestick things.. Wow you guys really know your stuff!!!!

Il upload some pictures of him soon.. Love my bearded dragon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom