Hi everyone was wondering if i could get some help figuring out genetics of my beardie!

Quincy932

Hi everyone I'm new here an just got Into beardies but always been a reptile lover! The pet store I got him from said he's a normal but I think he's Def not just a normal! Please help!

Attachments

• 17058435035181905994286081997013.jpg
    17058435035181905994286081997013.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 17058435392972267810662830560046.jpg
    17058435392972267810662830560046.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 33

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Hello and welcome :)
You probably mean, what kind of morph he is?!
It's a little hard to see, the pics look kind of foggy and he seems to be shedding too.
There is nothing wrong with "normal", he is a beautiful dragon!
You could get better pictures and maybe one where you can see the toe nails, to confirm his morph.

Quincy932

Original Poster
Hello and welcome :)
You probably mean, what kind of morph he is?!
It's a little hard to see, the pics look kind of foggy and he seems to be shedding too.
There is nothing wrong with "normal", he is a beautiful dragon!
You could get better pictures and maybe one where you can see the toe nails, to confirm his morph.
He has dark black toenails an yes in middle of shed ATM alot of orange an red I'm pretty sure he is genetic strip for sure. Just not sure on rest of it

Quincy932

Original Poster
He has dark black toenails an yes in middle of shed ATM alot of orange an red I'm pretty sure he is genetic strip for sure. Just not sure on rest of it

Attachments

• 20240121_131220.jpg
    20240121_131220.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240121_131206.jpg
    20240121_131206.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240121_131155.jpg
    20240121_131155.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240121_131148.jpg
    20240121_131148.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 22

Quincy932

Original Poster
I gotta prob wait until he's done shedding but a lot of orange an red is coming through an the strip he has looks like a genetic stripe I've seen before

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks like a normal to me. The black nails means not hypo. The stripes on his tail mean not a Dunner. He isn't leatherback back either. The gentic stripes are much more pronounced and not broken in pattern, and if I remember correctly continues on down the tail. (I could be mistaken in that). As for color, color isn't a morph. It's a blending of the colors of both parents. Breeders will give names to some colorations but it isn't something that you can aim for or predict when breeding. An educated guess is the best we can do on color. Morphs however we can predict. If you mix a normal and a leatherback for instance statistically you get a percentage of normals, and of leatherbacks. The percentages can be calculated using a pundits square
Punnett square - Wikipedia

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He is still a beautiful dragon though. There are some amazing morphs out there, but personally I like the normals just as much, and they should tend to be hardier because breeding for morphs often weakens their genetics.

Quincy932

Original Poster
He looks like a normal to me. The black nails means not hypo. The stripes on his tail mean not a Dunner. He isn't leatherback back either. The gentic stripes are much more pronounced and not broken in pattern, and if I remember correctly continues on down the tail. (I could be mistaken in that). As for color, color isn't a morph. It's a blending of the colors of both parents. Breeders will give names to some colorations but it isn't something that you can aim for or predict when breeding. An educated guess is the best we can do on color. Morphs however we can predict. If you mix a normal and a leatherback for instance statistically you get a percentage of normals, and of leatherbacks. The percentages can be calculated using a pundits square
Punnett square - Wikipedia
Okay I was thinking the red is a different morph I guess I was confused on that part. He's very red an orange like a citrus which is cool.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Okay I was thinking the red is a different morph I guess I was confused on that part. He's very red an orange like a citrus which is cool.
Red (color) is not a morph, it's a trait. Morphs are genetic abnormalities from natural, such as hypo, leatherback, dunner, etc.

Morphs can be any color, of course dependent on the parent.

A normal dragon just means it has no genetic mutations. It doesn't mean it can't have vibrant colors and beautiful patterns :)

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Red (color) is not a morph, it's a trait. Morphs are genetic abnormalities from natural, such as hypo, leatherback, dunner, etc.

A normal dragon just means it has no genetic mutations. It doesn't mean it can't have vibrant colors and beautiful patterns :)

-Brandon
I beat all the way around that bush lol.
You said it much more eloquently 🙂

Quincy932

Original Poster

-Brandon
10-4 I'm just used to the whole snake side of it so it's a little different for them I see! Thanks for all the info everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom