Hi all, excited and a touch worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
My wife and I have been interested in welcoming a beardie into our family for a number of years, but work commitments, bringing up a family etc put that dream on hold.
However, scanning the Gumtree ads we found a 19 inch male, 2 years old whose keepers could no longer care for him. £50 including the viv seemed s steel.
He is lovely, loves a cuddle and often goes to sleep on us.
He had the t8 tubes, but was unsure when they were changed last so bought the Arcadia t5 slim luminaire unit ( 3 feet).
His heat lamp seemed uncontrolled as it was attached to a non dimming stat.
So I purchased a microclimate ht dimming stat.
His viv is 4 feet long but to be honest needs updating to, that's next on my list.
I have his basking spot at 39c and his cool end at around 28. There are just 2 vents in the viv so if I raise the basking temp higher the cool end with rise also.
He came with a type of saw dust substrate which was alive with insects. We cleaned this out and now he is on news paper, he has had just one poop in a week.
The thing is, we have had him a week and he has not eaten one bug and just a small bit of salad.
I have added calcium powder to his food but seems not hungry.
The last 2 days he has spent sprawled on his branch in the middle of the viv where temps are around 33c.
When we got him out yesterday he climbed up on the dinnining room chair and went to sleep.

He looks healthy I think apart from some shedding around his head.

Any tips or advice on how to improve his conditions and well being would be greatly appreciated.
I am a little worried as the first few days he was glass skimming to get out, now he just wants to lay and rest.
I can post pics if it would help.
Thanks all
John

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
Yea it's called something else but i forget what it is. I was just reading up on it the other week ( iI'ma bit of a newbie too)

Thebluetaurus

Original Poster
Thanks Vulcan
I will see how he is tonight.
Just worried because he was so active for the first 5 days.
Thanks
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessyMay
Top Bottom