Hey there! 1st Time Owner here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. My name is Bryce and I'm a 1st time bearded dragon owner. Not the complete first time I will say, my sister had one many years back, but this will be my own!

A little about the new critter, I bought it at Petsmart yesterday and he is very very small, not sure exactly on age but he (or she) was healthy when I came and looked at it before buying! He is very friendly, likes to crawl around when I hold it and so far has had a good behavior. (some glass dancing but I beleve thats normal for its age) Right now I have a 20G tank with carpet, 2 lights (night and day) with one thermometer next to the lamp, (90-100 degrees there)

I am going to buy a UVB but ot sure to get the dome style or the florescent style.
I am also going to get an extra thermometer for the cool side of the tank, he tends to spend his nights over there sleeping so maybe its too hot over on the side at night?

His diet is currently wax worms and crickets. I will keep it that way, maybe larger crickets and super worms when he gets older, Im just worried about the shells!

No veggies yet obviously, but trying to get him to eat them!

And it still doesn't have a name but here is a pic! i was thinking of calling it Yoshi haha.
Thanks everyone!
IMG_5397.jpg

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
what a cutie, as far as uvb you want a reptisun 10.0 you can get them online from petmountain.com for 20 bucks its the florescent kind you can get a cheap fixture at walmart for 8 bucks. waxies should only be feed as an occasional treat they are really high in fat. go to beautifuldragons.com they have a awesome diet chart of things to feed. as far as feeders try dubia nymphs or small crickets or even phoneix worms.

BryceMotch

Original Poster
Thanks! Do you guys know if just having a heat pad on at night is enough? or just the heat lamp? Not together Im sure. and if its just the heat pad do i have to have a night light?

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
you dont need either as long as your temps stay around 65. beardies dont sense heat on their bellys so NEVER use a heat pad. if your temps drop below 65 then you want to use a CHE (ceramic heat admitter) anything else just ask o and welcome to the site lol :D

BryceMotch

Original Poster
Thanks! Last night just the heat pad was on and it was still like 80 in the cage all night.... but now I am definitely going to take it out! He seems to like the basking lamp (100watt wide) but ive noticed a lot of people here have the tight beam for a basking spot only. For a 20gal tank would this be overkill because its not very tall?

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
i have a 75watt house hold bulb in my 20gl for babies and the temps are right at 108 so its really up to you in the rest of my tanks i have halogen par 30 flood lamps 75 watts they are awesome and save on electr. too. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom