Hey new here guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maldesto

Hatchling Member
Actually a bearded dragon is one of the easiest to care for as far as reptiles go, and are the starter reptiles in most cases..... Just listen to these peoples advice, they know what their talking about..

When you said rock, did you mean HEATING rock? Because they can burn beardies...

I'm sorry you keep getting bombarded with info, dude, but it's not as much a it seems when you get used to it.

Maldesto

Hatchling Member
Also people on this forum think their always right, Just remember its always the person thats postings opinion on what you should do, but here are the facts you need calcium, and you need a reptisun- or a uvb, reptiglo supposeably hurts them, but no facts.. as they wouldnt be selling it if it truly 100% was proven... 10.0 100% don't get a 5.0... within 8 months your beardie will be full grown almost.. i seen a 7 month old beardie at 17 inches..

My setup for a beardie consist of

55 gallon long tank

12x12 tile at one end, a 30 gallon repti carpet at other that covers the rest the 1 tile didn't vise versa... along with a huge hide rock, and a water dish, not a food dish as i put a lid in there when he eats salad, if not eating salad its crickits or meals and i just drop them in there...... i usually turn off the basking light when i go to bed and turn it on a few hours after i awake, and the repti sun i leave on from the time i wake up to the time i go to bed... and my beardies do fine, i put calcium powdar on his food every day, i don't put it on salad, i change water every day i mist 1-2 times a day on body + on sides of tank... i give bath 1 time a week for 5-10 minutes to babies 30 minutes for adults, if take them outside you must bathe them when you bring in could get bugs on them..

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
Maldesto":6v9w9hcj said:
Also people on this forum think their always right,

I totally agree. As long as you have the essentials. You can do what you want with your beardie that is appropriate lol

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
usually fish tanks are very narrow and long. that might work for a baby or a juvie, but adults need more square space. you can buy a fish tank now, and buy a reptile tank later. if you get a 75 gal, or 100 gal. fish tank that gives you alot of space but those are very tall and makes lighting a hassle, you have to practically build a mountain to reach the heat lamp, plus some uvb lights won't reach the bottom of the tank if you place them on top. you're better off getting a reptile tank now (which arn't on sale) than purchasing one now and one later. or if you're handy build something that works for you and your beardie.

tedrickrumohr

Hatchling Member
dragonxxxx":34eu8odi said:
usually fish tanks are very narrow and long. that might work for a baby or a juvie, but adults need more square space. you can buy a fish tank now, and buy a reptile tank later. if you get a 75 gal, or 100 gal. fish tank that gives you alot of space but those are very tall and makes lighting a hassle you have to practically build a mountain to reach the heat lamp, plus some uvb lights won't reach the bottom of the tank if you place them on top.

The Aqueon 40 gallon tank at Petco that they have for sale is perfect. It's wide and has a lot of square space.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Alright, I'm not going to single people out here, but there is something that some of you should understand. For others, sorry for going off on a tangent.
I have now had beardies for just over a year. In that year, I rescued two dragons, one a couple months old that ended up stunted because all of its cage mates got the food and UVB that it didn't. The other one is the dragon I now live with, and I will tell you that what I've written is how I take care of my dragon, which is how I managed to save her. She was kept without UVB, in a filthy, 10 gallon cage, and has a lot of disabilities from it.
For those of you who are saying that everyone on this site thinks they know everything about raising beardies, well, everyone has their own opinions. However, I am going to make a couple of valid points.
1. The overflow of information is necessary. I have personally seen far too many people who get dragons who end up killing or maiming their dragon through lack of knowledge.
2. I work at a pet store. This alone would typically make me a slight object of scorn, as many pet store workers have no idea how to set up or maintain reptiles through lack of knowledge. I am not one of them. I take the time and do my research, and most of what I do on this site is keep up on the latest news in the beardie world and help newbies who are in the deep end figure their way out. I am not bragging when I say that I actually do know what I am doing, and what I say is very, very relevant to the issue.
3. Yes, you can do what you want with your dragon. But we are on here to help you get the proper set up. Don't undermine someone's advice by saying, "Oh, you don't need that yet." Even a week without UVB as a baby can have harmful effects on a dragon's growth and development.
4. I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but seriously, this is an animal's life that you are taking into your care. I see people come in every week asking if they can "trade in their animal for something new" or "upgrade." We are not talking about a car, or a computer. Bearded dragons do actually have personalities, do recognize people, and do require quite a bit of set up. They are not the first lizard that I would recommend for a newbie, due to needing specific basking temps and UVB.
5. I'm sorry to kidsteeze, for having hijacked your thread slightly. I just felt this needed to be said.

I could go on, but I promised not to be personal. I'm going to let things lie after this, so long as people understand that some of us have spent months hand and force feeding a dragon to make sure it lives, and we do know what we are doing.

~RK

kidsteeze

Original Poster
yeah I got the 20 gallon I think So Im gonna head to pet co to pick up some new bulbs is there anyway someone could post a picture of there set up so I can figure out a cool set up I will upload some pictures tomorrow.

Maldesto

Hatchling Member
just get repti carpet as your subsrate, don't use sand or anything else imo... just have a hide rock that the beardie can hide under or get on top a water dish and thats basically what you need 2 start.

kidsteeze

Original Poster
Hey guys I went and spent another 80 dollars so hopefully i got my little buddy "Reptarr" set up right now gonna post some pics you guys can tell me if I got the right setup also took a picture of my tank. Also bought him large meal worms shook some calcium mix on a few of them and Im pacific time zone I also would liek to figure out what is ideal times for him to go to bed or how I set up the lights right now I got that uvb repta-son on the left side of the cage and the new basking bulb on the right side they are both on Not sure how to set it up yet gonna read on here a bit more I really appreciate all the good information you guys are getting in my head. :blob8: :mrgreen: :blob8:

29e6ik5.jpg

1jtb1x.jpg

s6rhnp.jpg

2rft4z7.jpg

kidsteeze

Original Poster
Also something to add is I still got that black light or whatever on a different hood should I use that or what this goes along with my other post.

Thanks for being so helpful guys love getting filled with information.

orionshaft

you need a probe thermometer those dial ones are inacurate. also can you take back that reptisun bulb? you need the tube version and 10.0 would be best. you also want both the lights on the same side so the beardie can bask in both.

Maldesto

Hatchling Member
should not of bought that repti sun, should of bought a tube repti sun 10.0 from petco... along with uhh get a different substrate NO SAND WHATSOEVER :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom