Herman is bobbing head at new dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbie

Herman our 16m old male dragon was very sad it seemed. He didn't do much ate and slept. So I figured he needed a friend so I found a female that is 11m old female. At first it was great "the first couple of days", but then he started to freak out jumping on her and grabbing her like a nip. He sometimes turns black but not all the time. He does bobb his head up and down at her. She doesnt seem scared. Is he going to hurt her? Should I sepperate them? Anything to worry about or is this just normal behavior?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
Yes please seperate them.This is a common mistake that is made with beardies.They really shouldnt be housed together,they are meant to be solitary.Especially with her only being 11 months old.This behavior is one or 2 things he is either going to seriously hurt/kill her or try to mate with her which at her age will also hurt/kill her.Headboobing is a sign of aggression or a mating ritual.Females cannot be bred until they are 2 years(18 mos is bare minimum) and also if she is a he which happens all of the time he will mame or kill her.I would put a seperator in the tank immediately until you can get a new setup for her.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Please, please seperate them ASAP. Yes, he might hurt her. All the things your describing are precursors to breeding, and he won't stop once he succeeds, and can literally kill her by overbreeding/attacking if they are left together. Dragons are SOLITARY, TERRITORIAL ANIMALS and do not need or want friends. Even if you wanted to breed them, she is much to young. Females need to be at least 18 months or breeding will drastically shorten her life span.

threecupsofcoffee

Hatchling Member
yes you need to separate them, then work out whats going on with Herman. It could be any number of things making act differently down to heating feeding or surroundings even brumation, good luck Julie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Yep... what they said.

I made the same mistake listening to the pet store. Thank God I figured it out before it was too late.
My guy and gal like to cuddle at night when they are sleepy, they hang out on the couch with me, but otherwise they are always separate. (And in separate rooms because if they see each other, he will get crazy and she will be scared.)

bobbie

Original Poster
Thank you so ver much for all the advice, so quickley!!! As soon as I received the first notice I put her in the other tank. I do have two but, was really hoping things would work out. As far as the pet store your right they suggest it might work. As far as herman goes he's just fine we take him out alot more I think maybe that had a lot to do with his poutting. But, thanks again!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom