Here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Oh, he is so skinny. That just breaks my heart that anyone would treat an animal this way. The poor little baby! :cry: Just take it really slowly with him, don't overload his system. Syringe some water and some unflavoured pedialyte (if you can get it) into him regularly - getting him hydrated will help get his bowels moving again and will make things a lot easier for him.

barbi1655

Original Poster
I have the day off, but have to run to work to pick up a dog tomorrow. If James still hasn't pooped, should I take him and have them give him an enema? He was on sand, and who knows how much he had eaten. They are not reptile Vets, but can help me out with the very basic stuff.

Good idea or not?

Barb

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Only if they have done it before. If they aren't familiar with the anatomy, there is a very real chance of injury to the beardie.

barbi1655

Original Poster
He's still with us. :) Every morning when I turn on his lights I hold my breath waiting to see if he'll open his eyes.

He was a bit more alert this morning. He perked up quicker.

I gave him a few drops of olive oil in about 1/2 teaspoon of apple sauce.

I picked up a kitchen scale this morning. I weighed the pedialyte and some cashews I bought and it seems accurate. He is 16 inches long and 150 grams.

How much of the baby food stuff should I be giving him a day? He had a teaspoon yesterday before he started to resist it. I don't want to over stuff him, but want to make sure I'm giving him enough.

He's soaking for at least 30 minutes a day in a pedialyte and water mixture. He won't lick any drops of water I put on nose.

Barb

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Barb,

In another 2 or 3 days, I would try him on some regular food, and see if he'll eat it for you.

While giving him the baby food was a "quick fix", when he was starving and so rundown, you can't continue to give it to him for too long, because they can get really spoiled very easily, and quickly realize that if they don't eat, you will hand feed them. This can lead to their demanding to be handfed their whole life, and can turn them into little tyrants! LOL They are very intelligent little buggers, and quickly learn that refusing to eat is a way to get extra attention from you. Getting nourishment into him was very important, but he has to learn that he needs to eat on his own.

As far as his not having a bowel movement is concerned, you may find that giving him regular food will cause him to go much more quickly than syringe feeding him baby food will. It takes a lot more baby food to fill them up to the point where they have to go, than it does if they're eating a regular diet. I would continue to give him a few drops of olive oil, or vegetable oil, every morning, along with either some warmed applesauce, or some small pieces of peeled apple, which should provoke a bowel movement. Also, continue to give him very warm baths a couple of times a day, which should eventually cause him to go. If he will eat regular food for you, and he hasn't moved his bowels for you in another week, then a vet visit might be in order. However, as long as he doesn't act like he's in pain from not going, and he isn't acting sick, I would give him a bit more time. Since he wasn't getting much to eat for quite a while, it may take his digestive tract a little time to learn to deal with regular feedings.

I would continue to weigh him every 2 or 3 days, and keep a chart of his weight. As long as he's eating, and he isn't dropping a great deal of weight, then just let him decide how much he wants to eat. As his digestive tract recovers, he will probably begin to eat more and more for you as time goes on.

Please keep us posted on his progress!

barbi1655

Original Poster
The only thing that I know he will eat are super worms. I have put a bowl of fresh salad in every day and to my knowledge he has not eaten it. I have also offered both dry and apple juice soaked pellets that I have not seen him touch.

So do I go for live food simply to get him to eat on his own? I don't think he was ever fed anything besides meal worms and crickets.

He was very excited to catch and eat the super worms that first night. I know he'd love to have more but I didn't want to over load his system. Maybe it's alright now that he has some other food in there now?

He is getting a bit more energy, seems perkier. He's not terribly active. He'll come down from basking once or twice a day, walk around the perimeter and then back up he goes.

Barb

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Barb,

Now that he's gotten some other types of food into him, I think that you can probably try him on the superworms, but I would cut the heads off of them before giving them to him, as that's the part that is hardest to digest.

Also, only give him 3 or 4 of them, until he has a bowel movement, to make sure that he's able to digest them properly. Some 1/4 inch Crickets would probably be fine as well, as long as you don't give him too many at one time.

Please let me know whether he eats on his own for you when you offer them to him!

barbi1655

Original Poster
He ate one right away. The second one quit moving before he got interest. They don't wiggle long without heads.... lol

The first night, he ate 4 of them in seconds.

I'll give him more in the morning. He has eaten quite a bit of baby food today.

Do they get gassy? Either he or my 2 yr old grandson was awfully smelly tonight. *g* I really think it was him. I popped him into another warm bath, but nothing came of it. He has soaked for a total of about an hour and a half today.

I'm glad I'm not needing to worry yet. I'll get some crickets tomorrow. I'm thinking he'll eat them just fine.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, support and great advice!

Barb

beardie1434

Juvie Member
Sorry it has taken me a while to read this. I have been crying since your first post. I am so glad you have him now. If he has trouble catching jumping crickets you can remove their back legs and put them in a bowl. They will still move as normal, they just can't jump away. Good luck and I hope things get better soon.

Lisa

barbi1655

Original Poster
Thank you. He was FAST getting the worms the night I brought him home. He really surprised me so I'm hopeful that he'll do ok with crickets.

Tonight for the first time, (besides a one time around the perimeter now and then) he is off his basking log. He is sleeping standing up in the corner. I'm taking that as a good sign of feeling a bit better.

Barb

beardie1434

Juvie Member
I would agree it is a good sign. To me it says he is gaining stregth, cause he now can hold his own weight on two legs instead of how he started out so weak he mostly laid around. oh, btw any poo yet?

barbi1655

Original Poster
beardie1434":bdcf6 said:
instead of how he started out so weak he mostly laid around. oh, btw any poo yet?

He would be laying on the log with his legs just hanging down off the sides. No poo yet. :(

Barb

barbi1655

Original Poster
He's quite the hunter :)
He snatched up 5 tiny crickets in seconds. It's hard to think something so frail can be so fast! I'll give him a couple hours and offer him more.

Once he poops, should I then just continue feeding him as much as he'll eat? (within reason, with many small meals rather than one or two large ones)

I've had other foster animals that came to me this thin. They were dogs though, reptiles are new to me.

Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom