HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinamine

Hi

I just dewormed my beardies. They are on day 2 of a 5 day course. The dose is 0.2ml per dragon but while I was dosing Merlin, the dispenser on the syringe broke and he got about 2.5ml!!!! It is 7pm here and the emergency vet knows nothing about reptiles

ANY ADVICE???

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well first off, Panacur if that is what you are using, only needs to be used once a week for a 2-3 week treatment.
Luckily, Panacur is not really toxic & "technically" you can give alot over what is actually dosed though of course it is not recommended.
He should be fine, but honestly, I do not think he will need anymore deworming treatment now as that should cover it.

What you need to do now is just keep his system flushed out well with water, by giving 2-4ml's daily for awhile. Watch for any strange behavior or any other changes in his eating patterns.

Tracie

trinamine

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie

I used beaphar wormer for reptiles. The active ingredient is levamisole 25mg/ml
He seems ok so far - just a it skittish and his pupils are quite dilated, but I might just be being paranoid

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is concerning. The Levamisole is not a dewormer. It is used for nematodes, protozoans/parasites, not worms.
It has a very narrow margin of safety.
Why did they not use Panacur for worms, as that is what is normally used. What ailment does he have that he needed treatment for?

So you will most definitely need to watch him closely & keep him hydrated as much as possible. If he starts dehydrating or acting off he will need to be taken in for rehydration immediately or for them to flush his system out.

Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

trinamine

Original Poster
Hi

He seems fine this morning - a bit annoyed with me for forcing his mouth open for fluids but otherwise ok. I was worried last night because he was very black and seemed dazed but that has passed now
That is the only dewormer that they have at the reptile store and the guy there who breeds them says that's what he uses. Mine were all rescues that I got when they were 2 years old and they had never been dewormed before so I just thought it was a good idea - I regret that thought now!

Besides glaring at me like I am evil-incarnate, they are all ok today

T

PS nematodes are round worms

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes you are right that nematodes are roundworms. It just is not a routinely used medication for most worms here in the US, but can be used for roundworms as they do respond differently. It is more commonly used for saltwater fish. Hookworms, pinworms, lungworms are treated with Panacur more routinely. It should get rid of the roundworms, though.
It actually is classified as an antibiotic that is why it has a more narrow margin of error if overdosed. It can be very hard on the liver & kidneys in larger amounts.
So I would work on rehydrating him for the next several days to help his kidneys out & flush his system out a little more. It takes reptiles longer to metabolize & process medications.

I hope he is doing well today.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom