Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulabee

My Beardie just ate a small peice of plaster. I had him out and we are decorating so the skirting board is off, there was a bit of plaster on the floor and he ate it and was trying to get more but i got him in time. He seems fine but do you think it will do any harm :banghead: .

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hey sweety, offer some 100% pumpkin with a drop or two of olive oil, to help pass this. The only thing I can think is that it might impact the dragon, and the above advice will help pass that.
Keep us posted !
Hugs and prayers,
Janie.

paulabee

Original Poster
Thankyou for replying. I couldn't get back on pc yesterday. He seems fine this morning but i don't know how long it will take if it causes impact. Is there any other fruit that will do the job with olive oil as i dout very much that i will be able to ge hold of a punkin at this time and if not would a vet be able to do anything for this?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
You can also try some applesauce (no added sugar type), with olive oil. In addition, try rubbing the right side of beardie's belly, in a gentle downward motion and feel for any "hard lumps." This can be an impacted item. In addition to the applesauce/olive oil, try giving beardie frequent warm baths, while massaging the right side as described above.

How is your beardie behaving otherwise? How old is he? What are his basking temps like? Is he basking often?

I hope he's able to pass the plaster without too much trouble. I think there is very little a vet can do in this situation. Here is a link to an article that may offer further information and advice:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Em

paulabee

Original Poster
Thanks for the great information. he is looking good today, as had the apple sauce and olive oil, he loved it. Havn't got him out yet as he can be very moody and don't wan't to stress him out to much yet. Will get him out later bath him and check him other. Thanks again.

paulabee

Original Poster
He is getting on for 8 months. Is basking temp is just over 100 do you think i should raise it?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, glad he liked his applesauce. Indeed, if he's cranky, keep the handling to a minimum. Is he often cranky, or is the new behavior?

At 8 months, dragons are still considered "juveniles" so yes, I would try to get the basking temp up more, to like 105-110. At about a year to 18 months, when he slows down on live feeders/protein, you can lower the basking temp to an adult beardie temp of 95-100.

The best, and keep us posted.

Em

paulabee

Original Poster
He as always been moody and hisses at me all the time when i get him out. He had a bath and today he is alert and looking good but he hasn't had a poo yet. :cry:
How will i know when he is defiantly going to be ok?

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
youll know he is going to be okay when he poops that plaster out! Sounds like he is going to be okay though. keep giving him the applesauce and olive oil til he passes the plaster.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Indeed, poop is the thing we're looking for here. *sigh*

Glad to hear he's behaving as normal. Impaction is generally something that will effect your dragon fairly quickly and profoundly. That he is moody and hissing as normal, is a good sign that he has a strong constitution, and ahem, "this too shall pass."

Keep us posted... we're pulling for your dear dragon.

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom