Help,worried!!Could this be tail rot? ~pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

koco46

We got Phoenix (used to be Spike) almost 3 weeks ago off CL, he was not well taken care off and very malnourished,he only weighed 25g,and is supposedly 6-7 months old.
Since then he has doubled his weight and seems to be doing well.
We did notice he had a kink in his tail when we got him and the tip was dark,but this is our first beardie,so we thought nothing off it.
Well,I have been browing this forum and have come across several tail rot pictures that have me very worried that little Phoenix might have tail rot and I have taken some pictures.
Please let me know what you think!

tailtip.jpg

It looks like at some point maybe he was nipped,but there is no open wound

tailkink.jpg

This shows the kink in the tail.We marked a spot on his tail with red marker,my son used green where we thought the tail turned darker,but it is not like there is a definate dark line.

tail3.jpg

tailtip2.jpg

The flash makes this picture look lighter

darkening.jpg

This color is pretty accurate and shows the darkening towards the tip of the tail

color.jpg

This picture also shows the true color

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
My Puff has a little nip lookin spot on the end of her tail too. Has been there since I got her and its still there, with no tail rot...hopefully yours doesn't have it either.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Taz doesn't have a kink in his tail, but his tail is very very dark on the last half. As he got older, his tail would lighten up, and then turn dark again. It had me really worried, but I've since figured out it's just his coloring. His tail turns dark just like his beard does when he's upset or cold. Maybe this might be the darkness? The very tip of your's tail looks like it was nipped, but not sure about the other kink further up. I'd boost up the calcium and UVB light though... the tube light is the best one.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
Our Richard's tail gets very dark when he's grouchy or cold, then lightens up again. (it was dark for a long time when he had a bit of retained shed a couple of inches from the tip, then after dozens of shed-aid/vitamin E/aloe vera treatments and frequent care from my husband, it finally came off - beige tail again!) If you look at pictures or videos of wild beardies, quite a few of them have black tails. I think it's related to their coloring.

It does look like he got it caught in something or injured it somehow. If it stays flexible it's still healthy. If it becomes stiff and won't bend at all, that would require a vet visit to get rid of the dead part so it won't spread. Just keep an eye on it and when he sheds, make sure the layer on that part of his tail comes off completely. If it doesn't, come back to this site and search for "retained shed".

He's lucky to have you now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom