Help with wild bearded dragon I found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone
I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct section but I am after some help. I was travelling home and noticed a bearded dragon in the middle of a road. As it was a dangerous place to be basking (so I thought) I stopped and approached the lizard to move her off the road. She did not seem at all fazed by me picking her up. (I expected her to run away as soon as I approached her).I noticed a tiny spot of blood on the top of her head and other than that, there appeared to be nothing wrong visually except that she seemed very dazed. She was just sitting there with her head up in the air and her eyes shut. I picked her up and moved her to the grass and she did not move. So...I brought her home, hoping she was going to be ok and take her back to where I found her. I had a sleep as I started work very early and when I woke, she had laid something like 15 eggs!!!! What do I do now??? It is night time so in the morning should I just take her to a vet and get her assessed? I put the eggs into a shallow container with soil. I know the eggs have to be placed exacted how they are laying so I carefully did that.
Is there anthing else that I should do before I go to the vet?
When I brought her home, I dripped a little bit of water off my finger to her mouth, but she did not respond in any way at all. I am guessing she has been hit by a car and will find out more from the vet tomorrow. She seemed to grip onto my hand with her feet ok and she doesn't seem to have been squashed in any way. Her limbs appear to be ok as far as I can tell.
A few questions, if the vet leaves her in my care, what to I need to do to help her...and the eggs? Do they just lay the eggs and leave or do they raise their young. I am hoping she will be a lot brighter in the morning and I hope to be able to return her to the wild as soon as she is ready.
Should I take her back to the same place I found her? I assume that would be the best for her.
If you can offer any help, please let me know.
I adore lizards and only want the best outcome for her.
Gee.....I wish she just ran off the road when I approached her!! :)

wingnuts

Juvie Member
I agree that it is more likely that you have an escaped/lost/abandoned pet on your hands. And I would also freeze the eggs and dispose of them. Hatching out eggs--if they are even fertile--is a long, tedious, expensive process! You would be amazed at how many crickets babies eat!

I hope that she is going to be okay. Please update us after your trip to the vets. If you plan to keep her please review the care sheet and get her set up with proper lighting, etc. There are lots of people here who can help you figure things out and they are fabulous pets. :)

Tracy & Stella

Original Poster
Thanks for you replies guys!
Yes, I am in Australia and the place where I found her is pretty remote so I know she is not a lost pet. I really don't want hatchlings!! but am willing to do whatever I need to do to help the babies. I cannot and won't freeze the eggs. It is just not in my nature to do so. I will ask the vet in the morning as see what he suggests to do. I just want mum and eggs/babies to go back to where they belong.
It is not 12.30am so I must get to bed but I hope that things look a lot brighter in the morning.

wingnuts

Juvie Member
Well we sure have egg on our faces! It seems you may indeed have a wild beardie on your hands. :shock: That's pretty awesome in my opinion since I only see them in vivs around here. :) Since freezing the eggs is not an option for you...the vet will have to give you some feedback on whether or not they can be placed in the wild so that they possibly hatch out--and no, bearded dragons do not raise their babies--or if they would need to be placed in an incubator and hatched out.

Good luck! Keep up posted. And pics would be lovely...just to see how a wild beardie looks compared to my spoiled domestic princess!

Tracy & Stella

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Im sorry I cant offer any help.
I do agree the vet visit tomorrow would be the best
As for the eggs, Ive seen articles on how to make a incubator. Try to google "home made incubator"
Hope the eggies can be saved

Keep us posted please

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I would contact a wildlife agency or rescue center. They could take her and the eggs of your hands for you and care for her if you want and/or help with suitable release spots. Not animal control, but like park rangers for national wildlife parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom