Help with Reptisun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
I just bought a reptisun fluorescent tube and an under-cabinet fixture for it. One problem, I can't seem to get this thing in the tank. I have a 75g. If I rest it on the top of the tank, the bulb will be about 12-14 inches away from the basking spot. Plus there is the plastic support beam in the middle. If I try to hang it down in the tank, the fixture tips sideways since the screw holes aren't in the middle of it. I have no clue how to install this thing. And I just took all her previous lighting apart, so I have nothing set-up for her now. How did you guys get the bulb set up in the tank? Any pictures? Thanks!

Erin

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Erin if you place a 2x4 across the back of your viv then you can screw the fixture to it. :wink:
Best to cut the 2x4 to fit/set into the frame of the viv so it can not slide around so easily.
Not such a great pic I could take a few more for you if you need me to.

Excuse the poser in this pic. :lol:
DSC07593.jpg

If you need the light to drop farther into the viv then just screw blocks of wood to the 2x4 and screw fixture on to that or you can even hang it from the 2x4 with small chains if you need to drop it even further.

Oh with the viv that has the plastic divider piece for screen slider just attach a block of wood on each side of the divider to the main 2x4 then drop your fixture into the viv and attach from below the divider. I'll see if I have a pic. :wink:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
They sell lamp stands in the reptile departments and online sites but my viv's are stacked on wooden shelving so we just screwed the smaller peice of wood to the back of the stand/shelf and clamp the hood to that. I like the fact that it's adjustable for when the weather changes. The lamp stands are also adjustable. :wink:

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, my fixture is a little different than yours. I have an under-cabinet one that is more horizontal, while yours is more vertical/dropped down. It was the only one I could find. If I wrap chains around it, it spins around partly on its side. I was thinking of using the 2x4s, but the bulb would still be 10" from the basking spot. I can't really raise the basking spot bc its a rock den which she likes to nap inside. I'm just at a loss as to what to do.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Erin could you possibly post a pic of your fixture and maybe include the enclosure in the pic so I can see what your working with distance wise too? Or you could email me one if that's easier so you don't have to deal with photobucket. [email protected]

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's what my husband did for Sabrina's tank. Her basking spot is made out of stacked bricks with a hide in the middle. Perhaps you could build her hide up by putting bricks underneath it, that would help give you a little more height.
My hubby used heavy medal brackets that you can get at hardware stores, you could use as many brackets as you need depending on the length of the holder you're using. He used a metal brake for bending metal after he measured the distance that he wanted the brackets. You could also use vise grips or pliers to bend them the way you want them. This setup is only temporary and I only had a short hood on hand to use for now. This worked out very well. We tried chain links but it wasn't secure enough and didn't want it to fall. The brackets left out a little from the back, are totally pliable but completely secure, I can move the light out enough to switch the light on & off with no problem.
IMG_0932-1.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

Here's another idea, this is the big tank she will be moving to. You can see the holder for 2 fluorescent bulbs here:
IMG_1256.jpg

Here's the full setup. We bought this for $100.00.
IMG_1249.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom