Help with General Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wanted to weigh in on an area here. Why is he getting a double dose of Trimeth sulfa daily? That is WAY too much. Can you recheck how much the vet wants you to give him?
That is very harsh on his system. He only needs just the .17ml daily which is 50mg/kg. The dosage is correct, but, only once daily.

Tracie

MitchMitch

Original Poster
i kind of thought so too.... he was on the albon (not sure of spelling) for 20 days and that did not help.
and i have only been giving him one dose of the new meds and not following the 2 doses a day. i am thinking that the vet wanted to treat him aggressively? since the levels are not coming down?
i do give him the reptile acidopholis at night as well. he likes that stuff.
i just dont know what to do... his poop is really really bad. i bathed him yesterday, and omg... it was bad. he had some wax worms the other day, and i think i saw a whole worm come out. like his food is not being broken down or something? now that i have my lighting correct, maybe that will help. i just dont know. i am super sad over the entire thing. i dont even know what a normal beardie poop looks like to compare too!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, good that you are only giving him one dose. Very good call on that. He needs another fecal. So his coccidia counts were how high? Was anything else detected on the fecal that you know of?
Continue using the acidophiliz daily right now. A normal stool should be firm, but moist, with a clear casing around it, which kind of look like sausage! :D Is that descriptive enough for you? :puke: So his stools are really runny, do they smell really bad also? If he is not getting better, he needs to get another fecal. They may have missed something.
The improved lighting however should greatly help him. So, give him another week or so, then, re evaluate him & make a decision on how he is doing overall.
Sometimes, if they do not chew up a worm like the phoenix worms, butterworms or waxworms, they just pass right on through without being digested. So that does happen on occasion.

Tracie

MitchMitch

Original Poster
Ok.... He has tested a +4 for Coccidia and a +2 for Strongyles. According to the vet.. he did not test positive for anything else. But... i have been doing research on vets in my area and found a good reptile vet that is not to far. My plan was to wait a week and see where the poop is. Today will be day 3 of new meds. Yeah.. really runny and somewhat stinky. And yah.. when he does his thing in my bathtub.. my kids want to :puke: It was firmer when i first brought him home... and did get worse over time. Even when he was taking that Albon in the beginning. I do plan on getting a second opinion on what is ailing him. So when i take him for the next fecal.. it will be to a new vet that sends there fecal's out to be tested. Which again.. i plan on doing sometime next week.

I plan on using the acidophiliz daily. Just dont know what would be better.. I guess giving him the meds at night and then the acidophiliz in the morning.

Since i have altered the lighting... he is now 18inches away from the MVB and i have the 50watt basking light on his spot as well. Average temps 95-100. Cool side is holding at 75-80.
He hasnt been lazy since the new lighting was set up. Seems pretty alert and lovey. He is shedding and will get another bath tonight. I also spray him with a spray bottle in his tank when i remember.

I need to disinfect his tank... what is the best way to do this? Bleach mixture... or the steamer? Obviously.. without him in the tank ... :mrgreen:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, what I am thinking that if he had stronglyoids then the Albon or the Trimeth either one really wont do a whole lot for that. They will work on the coccidia but not the stronglyoids. He would need Metronidazole or Flagyl to clear that up. That could be the whole problem right there. At least the stools seem to be improving.
Great another fecal would be helpful since he has been on meds for awhile now. You have to be careful keeping him on meds for too long though. They are harsh on their kidneys.
Great he is acting better now & not lethargic. The baths are probably helping too.
So you have the Powersun 160 watt at 18 inches & you are using a 50 watt basking in conjunction? The temps of 95-100 are ok. It isn't really necessary to spray him down in the tank, as that can cause humidity to rise too much & bring on mold issues.
The best way to disinfect the tank is using a steamer. IF you use bleach, it needs to only be a 10% solution, or less. Make sure you rinse it out extremely well before putting him back in there. You could use vinegar & water it is safer, or novalsan.
Definitely make sure he is not in the tank when you clean it! :D

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thanks for jumping in Tracie.
MitchMitch Tracie is absolutely correct I didnt realize the med dosage nor did I realize the type of parasite.I think she pegged it(as usual :wink: ) he needs the Flagyl.How is he doing now that yiu adjusted the lighting?Oh by the way you asked me about the posting pics thing,the easiest way is to open a photobucket.com account(free)and upload the images there then copy and paste the IMG code here in the text box.

MitchMitch

Original Poster
Well... he seems to be happier with the new lighting. I had to completely spray down his stuff today... he took a mean poop on his slate today - ewwwww :puke:
However, it didnt appear to be as runny as the previous days.... it seems to be firming up some. But still not normal.
But he is active - perky - and currently shedding. Took a nice warm bath today and removed some skin for him as well.
I am just glad that i can work from home, so i am able to clean up his messes just minutes after he makes them. I try real hard to get him to do it in the tub - but we cant always bank on that.... lol
I appreciate all of your help on this. I do plan on getting a second opinion sometime next week. What is the best way to travel with beardie in tow. I have a carrier for him.. but this new vet is like a half hour from my house. That would be a good 2hrs without lighting and warmth - i can put the heat on in the car... but other than that? do you bring a towel for them to burrow under? cluess once again. :dontknow:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh good I ma glad he is doing better but I do agree a second opinion is best.As for transport go get some of those breakable hand warmers/heat packs from the sporting goods store or walmart and lay them at the bottome then put a nice thick towel on top of them and one to cover him and yes of course keep the heat on in the car. :wink:

MitchMitch

Original Poster
LOL... omg... i never even thought of that!!!!!!!! I have at least 10 of those things in my laundry room! SWEET! :mrgreen:
What would i do without you guys? Big hugs to all!!! :notworthy:
I will keep you posted on the progress. But i think we are on the right track - finally. Just have to kill these parasites!!!!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Excellent!Just make sure you cover them with a thick enough towel/blanket so you dont burn your little guy. :wink:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep us posted on him! I hope everything goes well at the vets. He will travel very easily. They tend to like traveling a little bit.
It sounds like he likes his lights a little better now so that is good news! :D

Tracie

MitchMitch

Original Poster
I have a question..... It is usually "lights on" at 0700-0730CT in the morning. Now.. there are days that he will still be awake at 8pm - and i have to turn the lights out so he goes to sleep. And there are days that by 7pm he is already under his rock sleeping. Is this normal? I know they need 12-14hrs daylight.
I am so unaware of "normal" bearding behavior that i dont know what to make of this.
He is shedding. But, he is active during the day.. not hiding... basking on his rock and seeming to have a good time.
And then i find him almost fast asleep at 7pm - should i keep his lights on for that last hour (to give him 13hrs daylight) - or turn them off when i find him like this? Could it be the meds making him like this?
Or should i just give him 12 on and 12 off? Split it down the middle? help..... please.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well its really up to you you can do 12/12 or 14/10.Its not absolute that they MUST be under the lights that long its more the option to allow them to be under as procedure.If he wants to go to bed at 7 some nights thats fine just turn of his lights when you see him wanting to go to sleep.It sounds like he is just being a typical beardie at the moment. :D

MitchMitch

Original Poster
Well... that is good news, and a load off my mind. Thanks.
Wish i could find my kids in bed all by themselves at 7pm with no help from me!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom