Help with Frankie please !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. i have adopted a bearded dragon from an older woman. She didn't have the exact recommended lighting which I've ordered, but he's 6-7 years old so she must've been taking fairly good care. I was worried about the move. He was in smaller tank during the drive which now I think was a mistake. He's very calm and would've been better off in my arms or a basket even. The vibration I think made him try to climb the glass. He's very calm all day and night. He hasn't eaten anything. No crickets no fruit or veggies. It's been 48 hours since he's in his new home. Same tank and surroundings. Yesterday he had about 15 minutes of sunlight and today he was out on the grass for 20 minutes in mix sun shade. He was very still for a good while like he wasn't sure but soon enough he was walking towards the sun!! He had much more energy for about an hour in his tank. He needs a bath but I'm worry it may be the first
Time ever. He was sprayed down daily. He's also shedding right now. I've read through the guide but any tips about what else I should expect would be helpful.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Give him some time to settle in. The natural sunlight is very good for him so keep that up. As an adult he can go for quite a while without food, especially if he's stressed so just keep being gentile around him, give him sunlight and I think he'll come around.

Pokerchick

Original Poster
How much sunlight can I give him? He's not a runner so I made a leash for him with sturdy craft ribbon. I live in the country so I've had to order the proper lighting. The one he has is I think an older style looks like large outdoor light and goes into regular style socket not ballast style. I think I'm explaining right!! He also has a red bulb I think that was in case he was cold. Getting ceramic heater insert too. Is it
Possible he may be lethargic because he's shedding his skin too? One more thing. His bath do you think it's too soon? He comes to my hands very well and isn't hiding under his large trees I think his rock hide may be too small I'll share some pics in morning. Any tips would be great! It's pretty humid in southern Ontario Canada but when the furnace turns on I'll need to get good moisture levels figured out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I live in the country and have to order everything in too. How big is his tank? I can make more useful suggestions for lights if I have some detail about his tank. Don't worry too much about humidity at this time of year. Normal house humidity is usually fine. First focus on proper heat gradients and UVB and work from there.

Pokerchick

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2hucud13 said:
I live in the country and have to order everything in too. How big is his tank? I can make more useful suggestions for lights if I have some detail about his tank. Don't worry too much about humidity at this time of year. Normal house humidity is usually fine. First focus on proper heat gradients and UVB and work from there.

I've uploaded some pics of Frankie after he had some time in the sun. When I put him back in to his home, he does the strangest thing. He has always had an aquarium scene surrounding him. After his outside time, he was trying to jump on the photo along the glass. He jumped pretty far. It made me sad to see him missing and falling, so I took it down to see how he would be without it. He acted very strange after this, it was the first time he hid from me. Maybe Im reading too much into his behavior but he acted as if he wanted back out when he was jumping the glass.

I put it back up but much lower. After today's sun he was doing it again. His tank is 57 inches in diameter and it's pretty deep too. I've uploaded some photos to my user album I think its called, visitor as well. You can see the light he has had all his life in one. The UV bulb is in so tomorrow night I should have it added. There are 4 sizes. 15 inch or 24 inch would work. I can use the metal screen on the top and attach a 24 inch ballast (I think they're called) Is this the right size?

He had his first bath today and he finally pooped. YAY FRANKIE! Question....
His poop had this white stringy like stuff, then this pink stuff (he was eating shrimps for reptiles, I haven't given him any) then came two... um... turds. Is this normal?

He hasn't touched any of the veggies I don't think. At least not any amount I can see a difference. Today he finally ate 4 worms. I tried to feed him with tweezer... BUT I dropped it, then he missed. LOL... after that he did chase down 4. I tried to add crickets but he didn't touch them. Right now he and the crickets are backing on his wood.

We're making him a new hide this week. He isn't gonna fit into his rock hide he has. he was in sand, regular sand all these years. i think it's dirty! For now I have the loose paper and changing it daily. I want to find the moss i have read about. Sorry, I know LOTS of questions. Last night into this morning... he was so still, at 5 am i was actually worrying and checking to see if he was breathing. This was after his first time outside in the grass and when he was jumping the glass.
Today the halter I made him.. almost worked. The snaps aren't strong enough. Once I get it figured out I will share the design pattern.

Thanks for any tips!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The jumping at the glass usually means he wants out of the tank. I'd let him out to run around the room a bit. The poop sounds normal. The white part is urate.

What kind of UVB light did you get? It makes a difference regarding the height you need to mount it at. They have different effective ranges.

You can post photos here once theyre uploaded by using the XIMG button.

Pokerchick

Original Poster
CooperDragon":23pxywuh said:
The jumping at the glass usually means he wants out of the tank. I'd let him out to run around the room a bit. The poop sounds normal. The white part is urate.

What kind of UVB light did you get? It makes a difference regarding the height you need to mount it at. They have different effective ranges.

You can post photos here once theyre uploaded by using the XIMG button.

The pet store has ordered the reptile lights they carry so I'm going to buy the bulb today. I have a 24 inch ballast already and I'm pretty sure I have enough tank for it. I'm starting to build him shelter today too. Is in permitted to ask you to FaceTime this afternoon when I go to the store? I've heard mixed reviews about the staff knowledge there and it's Sunday which means teenager staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom