help!!,water?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gina

i have read different opinions about having a water bowl in a beardies viv,i spray mine twice a day,does he need a water bowl in his viv?,the one he had in with him he didnt even bother with.not sure what would be best,any suggestions would be great :)

PrettyInInk

I don't. We just bathe her a few times a week. She has never been interested in still water. My girl is definitely just a soaker, she rarely even drinks in the bath, but she is hydrated. Another tip is to mist the greens you feed for some extra water consumption. Hope this helps :)

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't mist him while he is in the tank, it will cause humidity which will cause a respiratory infection. The baths will keep him hydrated if they are done every other day.

gina

Original Poster
thanks for the info,he's just had another bath & seemed to really enjoy it,did a nice big poop in there :D hubby picked him up,im still nervous about picking me up as i think he's gonna bite me!!,i think if we'd had him from a baby it would of been easier,but he was 15 months when we got him & i dont think he was handled much :?

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
Gina,
I am fairly sure that the only time a beardy is gonna bite, is if you stick your finger in their mouth while it is open. They do a whole lot of other things, like blowing their beard, turning black and splotchy, and running, and jerking their head. Fallowing Vets orders I have tortured mine, force feeding, giving meds, and general care, the only time mine "bit" me was when I was shoving food down his throat, and did not get my fingers out of the way quick enough. I ended up with one tiny pin prick on my thumb, and it did not really hurt. I talked to the vet, and he said that I would not get sick from it.
The injuries that I got, being new and not knowing how to hold it, consisted of scratches. You have to support their bellies. Three fingers under their tummies of a solid surface like your chest or shoulder. You have to make sure they feel safe, so you do not pick the up and get them situated, you get them situated before their feet leave the ground.

RuselBro

Juvie Member
My 3 month's 21 day's old and 15 inch long Beardie Will puss up and Open his mouth if I startle him or Move way to Fast around, but I still pick him up while he has his mouth open and sometime's he'll turn toward's me really fast. But he doesn't want to bite me, he's being defensive, trying to Scare me and intimidate me. but I'll put my hand's right in and pick him up and he'll close his mouth and un-puff at me once he realizes I'm not threat. And the only time he has Ever bit me, is when I hand feed him Crix and sometimes he lunge's a little to far and nip's my finger, but it doesn't hurt, and he release's instantly.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
I really don't think they have the capacity to bite unless they're treated absolutely awfully when they're young. Their idea of a threat is to poof up and blackbeard. I don't think they realize they only weigh a pound. Dubs caught my finger once when I was hand-feeding him, and although it was a little pinch it didn't really hurt.

Back to water - beardies have no idea what to do with standing water. In their natural habitat they lick drops of water off of leaves or drink rain that hits their faces. Spritzing their greens (it helps the greens last longer in the viv as well), warm baths every couple of days, and dripping water on their noses for them to lick off are all great ways to give them additional water. When my Richard sees the syringe coming he raises his head and opens his mouth. He never knows whether it's going to be baby food, beardie bites dissolved in warm water, or plain water, but he always gets excited!

gina

Original Poster
thanks for all the info peeps,he's just waking up @ the moment so am going to give him his breakfast then see if he wants to come out.in the back of my mind i know he wont bite,its just a fear on my part,stupid i know.hopefully today will be the day that me & bill have a cuddle!!! :)

My beardie has never tried to bite me on purpose..he has gotten a finger when im putting food or something in his tank and he gets super excited, I spray my greens and bathe my guy 4 times a week! I also take a dropper and drip water on his nose and he loves it, he will also drink from a medicine dropper :) you will find whats best for you guys and you will be forever happy!
My fav part of the day is to sit on the couch and have him snuggle up on my chest :) its an amazing feeling to have him so happy sitting with me!!!

Hi, a solution to keeping him hydrated is every time you feed him his vegies, mist the vegies till there fairly moist and that should get him back to being hydrated, lettuce is also high in water it self so you could feed that to him till he gets hydrated, just feed him other greens as well because lettuce has no nutritional value. you should only need to feed him the lettuce till he gets back to being hydrated, then just do the normal greens while misting them and he should stay hydrated, plus the baths will help to but i notice most beardies dont accually drink the water when there in the bath, hope this helps a little bit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom