Help! Toothless swollen leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! Toothless's leg has swollen up, is really squishy and I'm not sure why! I'm a new dragon owner and have had him for month and a half now. He's not been acting the same, he's more fidgety when he's picked up, he's been sleeping all throughout the day, he doesn't seem to want to eat much either. I don't know if it's just because he might be shedding or what it could be. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Toothless looks very good actually....the leg just looks a bit fatter because it's in shed so the skin is loosening + slightly puffy looking. If he's acting sleepy it could be that this time of year is when they go in to brumation which is a sleepy time for them. If you research brumation [ there's an article on the right side of this page ] you can read about it. But he looks very robust + healthy, I don't think there's anything to worry about. :)

It's always good to list what type brand [ be specific ] of lights you're using though to be sure you have the right ones. People on this forum are always ready to help out if adjustments are needed. By the way, did he come with the wood shavings in his tank ? You'll want to be very careful that he doesn't accidentally eat any , it can cause impaction [ bad constipation ]

ToothlessBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":3hsxmqu2 said:
Toothless looks very good actually....the leg just looks a bit fatter because it's in shed so the skin is loosening + slightly puffy looking. If he's acting sleepy it could be that this time of year is when they go in to brumation which is a sleepy time for them. If you research brumation [ there's an article on the right side of this page ] you can read about it. But he looks very robust + healthy, I don't think there's anything to worry about. :)

It's always good to list what type brand [ be specific ] of lights you're using though to be sure you have the right ones. People on this forum are always ready to help out if adjustments are needed. By the way, did he come with the wood shavings in his tank ? You'll want to be very careful that he doesn't accidentally eat any , it can cause impaction [ bad constipation ]
Thank you very much for your help! He's very big considering he's 2 and I think it looks worse because we've recently changed the colour of his wood chips from dark to pine, so I think he's picking up pigmentation from that because he's changed colour completely, I think his uvb light bulb is the Komodo brand, if it's not then it will be when it needs changing

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! He does look good + healthy size wise. One caution....I believe pine chips can be toxic so you might want to remove them asap. You can use newspaper or non adhesive shelf liner for now.

ToothlessBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":eu91arxx said:
You're welcome ! He does look good + healthy size wise. One caution....I believe pine chips can be toxic so you might want to remove them asap. You can use newspaper or non adhesive shelf liner for now.
Wait, they're beech chips, they just sorta look similar to me :')

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I noticed you were using the Komodo brand of UVB light? Are you in the US or Australia?
Is it a long tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
I am not familiar with the Komodo brand but don't think it is one of the better ones. How old is it?

Tracie

ToothlessBeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":1jy7v6w9 said:
Hello,

I noticed you were using the Komodo brand of UVB light? Are you in the US or Australia?
Is it a long tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
I am not familiar with the Komodo brand but don't think it is one of the better ones. How old is it?

Tracie
I'm in the UK, and it's a compact uvb light, I have a long lightbulb for the day time anyway.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks, I thought that was a UK/Europe brand.
The compact/coil lights are notorious for not emitting adequate lighting for UVB. They have a sharp peak of UVB, sometimes even dipping into the low wavelength which is too concentrated & dangerous. The UVB does not spread out enough for them to receive good enough rays.
Which long tube do you use, a 65K daytime bulb that is non UVB?
I would highly recommend getting either the Arcadia D3 12% long tube bulb, or even the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for much higher quality UVB.

Tracie

ToothlessBeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":2u8yeccp said:
Hello,

Thanks, I thought that was a UK/Europe brand.
The compact/coil lights are notorious for not emitting adequate lighting for UVB. They have a sharp peak of UVB, sometimes even dipping into the low wavelength which is too concentrated & dangerous. The UVB does not spread out enough for them to receive good enough rays.
Which long tube do you use, a 65K daytime bulb that is non UVB?
I would highly recommend getting either the Arcadia D3 12% long tube bulb, or even the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for much higher quality UVB.

Tracie
I have no idea what his lights are like, all I know is that I've got one for light and one for heat, I got given him with new bulbs already in, I've only had him a couple of months so I'm still a new beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom