HELP RUNNY POOP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
I got my beardie yesterday, and hes a boy. He looks healthy, but when he poop earlier this evening, something didnt seem right. I was wondering what it is?

How old is your dragon? 2 months
How long have you had your dragon? 1 day
How long is your dragon? somewhere between 7-9 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? reptile tank (29 gallon)
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? paper towels right now(was repticarpet at the time of the poop)
Do you use UVB lights? Did, mom bought a Reptoglo 2.0 coil. its neither strong enough nor safe(or can i use it?). will be buying new tubes if dangerous.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?

Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? yes, 60 watts
What are the basking temps? 85-100 F
What is the cool side temp? ranging from 75-85 F
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? stick on
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? right next to where his basking area is(inch or two away from the wood, same level)
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? 10-15 week old crickets daily, some red/green lettuce, carrots/grapes(prefers grapes over carrots). just got calcium/vitamin powder, will be using that.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? once a day, morning(anywhere from 7 to 10)
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes, give them a special gel(so they dont need actual water) and it feeds them.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? will be, weekly with crickets, daily with salad(should i?)
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? his first poop is the one im asking about
Do you bath your dragon? How often? not yet, will in a couple days.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? mist with warm not hot water(every couple hours or so)
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no

DSC04372-1.jpg
, he had another small piece, that was normal.

picturesss038-1.jpg
(normal)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello and Welcome :D

Congrats on your new beardie...he is cute!

To answer your question about his poop. I did not notice any urate(white part)...did he have any? I recommend not feeding the lettuce due to it consisting of mostly water and not having much nutritional value. Fruits also should be limited. Lettuce and fruit will make your beardie have a runnier poo. His poo looks pretty firm which is good.

I would suggest you go ahead and start bathing your beardie for hydration. Some people do this daily, but 3-4 x a week is fine. Misting a dragon is fine, but really does not do much...beardies do not absorb water through their skin and constant misting in the viv can raise the humidity.

Your ReptiGlo 2.0 is like you said not enough uvb for your beardie. I would suggest getting a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube uvb, they can be purchased online here http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

Are you using a bright white basking bulb?

For your temps...basking should be between 100-110 and coolside between 78-82.
The stick on thermometers are not real accurate and can be off by quite a bit. The only way to get accurate temps is with either a digital thermometer with a wire and probe or an infrared temp gun. Temperatures are vital to the health and well being of your beardie.

As for feeding your little guy should be fed 2-3 x a day...all the live feeders he can consume in a 10-15 minute period of time. Fresh veggies should be offered daily. Here is a wonderful food chart to go by http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Your beardie should get Calcium 5 x a week(Dust feeders only one feeding a day) and Multivitamins 2-3 x a week(dust feeders only one feeding a day)

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions...feel free to ask! :D

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes at the very beginning of his poop he had some urate. i just didnt put the pic since it was normal poop.

yes a bright white one. yesterday i had a certain white lamp on, and that didnt give off much heat. now im using a dif brite white one and the basking is already towards 105F. i plan on buying either a digital or infared temp gun when i get the money. since im buying the UV light fixtures today.

where i got him, one of the ladies told me that they only feed their babies once a day. so thats what i do. though i give him 2 or 3 crickets every couple hours. 10-15 in the morning. and he always has moist salad in his bowl(i dont keep replenishing it though)

the stuff i have is Flukers Calcium with Vitamin D3. is that good? or an okay start?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello again,

Glad to hear you are going to be getting the correct thermometer. Those temps are extremely important...I cannot stress that enough.

As far as feeding your little guy....a beardie does most of their growing in their first year of life. This is when their feeding is of the utmost importance. A young beardies diet should consist of 80% protein and 20% veggies. They need the protein for proper growth and can easily eat 80-100 crickets a day! The feeding schedule I gave you(2 - 3 x a day....all he can eat in a 10-15 min period of time) is not exaggerated, I promie you!

The Flukers calcium w/ vit. D3 is fine. Don't forget the multivitamin also!

If you have any other questions...feel free to ask!

Enjoy your beardie! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom