HELP! Roach problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiestyjess

Hatchling Member
Ok, so I bought 1000 Turkistan Roaches. Put them in a Rubbermaid, medium size tote, about 1.5-2ft tall(not sure of the exact dimensions).
I think there was a gap in the lid, because I kept having roaches escape/ I taped around the whole lid, and reinforced my screened top, and STILL had them escaping.
I just bought a i think 55 gallon, Rubbermaid Ruffneck tote, and screened the top, reinforced it, and put them in it.. They are climbing like MAD! I thought they didn't climb slick surfaces??? Im afraid they will escape this one too..
WHAT can I do to stop this from happening?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Is there egg crate inside. The one I got they cannot climb. Just curious are you 100% sure they are Turkistans and not Lobsters?

applesaging

Hatchling Member
try applying a thick layer of petroleum jelly instead of the tape? or you can just breed dubia roaches instead :lol:

fiestyjess

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
pretty sure they are Turkistans. I ordered them from Aaron Pauling, they have 5 large like 18 egg flats, and then 3 12 egg cartons, i know i need to get more flats for them.. but they can climb this thing like no other.... :(
can dubias climb and are they ok to feed to 4wk old and 8 wk old dragons lol

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Storage bin is a Sterilite, sorry not a Rubbermaid but, allot of people use the Rubbermaid.
SAM_2393.jpg

Handles are latches.

A couple male Turks
SAM_2394.jpg

The male with the wings folded out is putting off pheromones to attract females, saying I am ready.
SAM_2395.jpg

My nymph bin, sits in the same bin as the adults, has it's own lid.
SAM_2396.jpg

SAM_2398.jpg

Adult male and 3 females.
SAM_2399.jpg

They cannot climb the bins. :wink:

fiestyjess

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the bin i had was a sterilite, i think because it had been used before, the lid was not tight.. since changing them over to the brand new one last night i have had no escapees.

however, i noticed on yours you do not have a screened section? they are ok with that? had i of known that i wouldnt of cut a big hole in mine lol :D

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
fiestyjess":39p82amu said:
the bin i had was a sterilite, i think because it had been used before, the lid was not tight.. since changing them over to the brand new one last night i have had no escapees.

however, i noticed on yours you do not have a screened section? they are ok with that? had i of known that i wouldnt of cut a big hole in mine lol :D

I have small holes in the lid. This provides some air flow and helps to maintain a bit higher humidity level. They are considered a tropical roach. The providing a screen on the lid will provide more air flow. I just open it up daily this replenishes the air supply just in case. As I develop a higher number count I will add more holes to the top or possibly cut a hole and attach a screen. I started with 40 adults so this was adequate for my situation.

Best of luck :wink:

fiestyjess

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oh ok, so your starting amount is lower then mine, we have 1000(well probably about 700 now since we had to feed some lol).

So far the new container is working better. It had been used for storage once, and I think it scratched up the sides, giving them a climbable surface lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom