HELP;Puffing & Blowing like he's got Gas/Trapped Wind!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnesey

Hi,
Just found this site and just wanted to know if anyone could help get some answers on what is going on with my bearded dragon. He's Name is Spike Bandit. He is about 2 1/2- 3 years old now he seems fine really for this time of year as in bit of hibernation mode so doesn't run around like a nutter like in summer. Any way for the last 2-3 weeks or so he has been puffing head and belly. I know they do this but this doesn’t seem right as he has never done this before in the 3 years it seems more like something is wrong, it’s hard to write and explain. As said he is puffing head but it’s staying puffed up for long periods and also belly fills and looks bloated and fills like trapped air, he sit's there and his belly and head will move and he will let out a (pheew sound) loud breath out. It really is like a baby who has trapped wind or if I had suppose a kind of hiccups but only blowing out air. This is really strange as he’s never done it before and it’s been going on for 3 odd weeks now on and off through the day some days and doesn’t seem right. I went to reptile shop and showed the bloke a video i had of him on my phone and he said he was probably just getting rid of heat. He does that sometimes in the summer but that just opening mouth and this is nothing like that, as I said and it's hard to explain without seeing but it’s like he has gas or trapped wind. Any help or answers would be great.
Thanks
Barnesey

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
It may just be a new trick he found. I have one beardie that never does it and one that looks like he stays puffed up.

barnesey

Original Poster
Thank for your reply.
Like you said i hope it is a new trick he's started doing,as he has never done this before in 3 years and just doesn't look right as more like trapped wind and puffing air out(looks and sound strange) everything else is ok with him,he eats and poo's not much this time of year but that's normal,he comes out and has a run around and goes and looks out window,comes and sits on me watches tv. It's just this werid trapped air gas thing started to get me a bit worried as never done before and looks sometimes like it might be hurting,may be it doesn't hurt it's just me. Any way thank you for your reply.
Barnesey

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Just thought of another reason they do it. He may be getting ready to shed again - I know he is older but it may have been a while since he shed and I know they can balloon up like that to help break the old skin.

barnesey

Original Poster
Thanks for that. Probably me just worrying over nothing. It's just he's never done this thing before, just looks wierd and not the norm for him. He doesn't do it all the time,done it yesterday and day before for a goood few hours but today nothing. He's had a bath and been running around a bit today looking out window. Hopefully it's just me worrying for nothing as it's a new thing. Thank you for your time and reply, i am glad i found this site.
Take Care.
Barnesey.

Grommet

Hatchling Member
hmmm.... You know, it could be a bit of a respiratory infection. I remember reading about someone else's dragon being "bloated" and unusually huffy which was a symptom of retained water and a respiratory infection. Keep this bumped up and hopefully a moderator will see your post and verify if my memory is serving me well. In the mean time, make sure your temps are good.... if it's a mild case, I think your dragon can fight it off with a good warm tank and proper diet. Have you noticed any changes in appetite?

Kailin

barnesey

Original Poster
Just taken Spike Bandit to vet as it doesn't look right and never done anything like this before,so to be safe got him down there. The vet did some test, looked a poo,in mouth full look over. Said he might have a small/slight lung infection as he seems ok breathing in but looks to be struggling to breath out. He gave him a shot and arrange to go back friday for some other bits,not to sure what they are but will see. Any way saying it may be a small/slight lung infection doesn't sound to good to me, just hope it's not real bad (probably is but hope) at least seen vet and he's giving him something. Well there's the update will see how things go friday.(He's still been running around today and seems as normal just this weired gas/trapped wind thing he's doing sometime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom