HELP!! Possible Throat Obstruction or Medical Condition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharbear3

Dobby is 4 years old and yesterday, his beard was extended. Today, his beard has been extended all day and gaping. When his mouth is open, I can see food in there. He's sleeping now and his beard is still extended. I did notice he shed a bit from his beard. Please help. The extending of the beard is freaking me out and is very uncharacteristic of him. He ate 2 superworms today but that's part of what I can see. Called the 24 vet which is over an hour away and they said he seems fine by the symptoms I told them but if I'm really concerned I should bring him in.

He's now awake in the middle of the night which is not normal. He waved at me and he is crawling along the bottom of his tank.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are your basking temps in the tank? What type of thermometer do you use, a stick on type, a digital probe or a temp gun?
What is the humidity in the tank?
How late do you feed him in the evenings, do you allow around 2 hours for him to digest before his lights go out?

Is he having any problems breathing lately?
Sorry about all of the questions, but this helps me pinpoint anything that might be off in the setup.
Is his beard darkened at all?

Tracie

sharbear3

Original Poster
Let me start by saying, it sounds really bad but, I don't know his temps. He's in a 40 gallon temp. Not too much humidity, I mist because he protests the bowl of water. He gets greens everyday and he is allowed several hours to digest as I do not give him protein after 6. He doesn't seem to be struggling with breathing. It seemed a little rapid at some points but the vet said that's normal with the extended beard because they are generally more excited when they extend their beards. The beard has darkened on and off. I'm concerned thst he is sleeping and his beard is extended. Very odd for him. I'm going to monitor him tonight and feed him small amounts of food tomorrow morning so I can check his appetite but other than the beard thing, he doesn't seem to be acting different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom