Help: Possible fatty liver disease - Prescribed antibiotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I haven't heard of getting to much uvb. But if your using calcium with out D3 I heard that it can cause a lot of issues. I'm not sure if that will help at all. But I do know that using calcium with out D3 will cause issues with UVB rays

Neuro

Original Poster
Ashleymthornton1990":5pn1gkoh said:
I haven't heard of getting to much uvb. But if your using calcium with out D3 I heard that it can cause a lot of issues. I'm not sure if that will help at all. But I do know that using calcium with out D3 will cause issues with UVB rays

I had always read and was even told by the inventor of the MegaRay bulb that if you are using a Mercury Vapor Bulb that you should NEVER supplement Calcium with D3, is this not the case?

--Craig

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I'm not 100% sure. I use vitamin D3 with. It's my lizards (less with my rescue because she has calcium) with reptisun uvb light. I have had my beardie for a little over a year and never had problems. I'm learning just like you. I just remember someone telling me that they have to be fed calcium with D3

Neuro

Original Poster
Totally understand what you are saying Ashley ... and sorry, did not mean for that to come across as rude or anything like that. I was just shocked if I had been doing that wrong this whole time, hehe. I was told that Mercury Vapor Bulbs actually produce so much UVB that the dragon is able to synthesize it's own D3 and if you supplement with it you can cause issues with too much D3. Arg... so much to learn with these guys. I just want everything to be perfect for her...

Thanks! :)

--Craig

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I know. I feel like I learn something new everyday! So glad for this website because I would be lost with out it. My first beardie has gained some unneeded weight. And I'm trying to figure out how to cut back on her feedings with out feeling like a crappy person for starving my baby

Neuro

Original Poster
Ashleymthornton1990":1ccvnkc8 said:
I know. I feel like I learn something new everyday! So glad for this website because I would be lost with out it. My first beardie has gained some unneeded weight. And I'm trying to figure out how to cut back on her feedings with out feeling like a crappy person for starving my baby

Yeah, it is really tough. That is my problem with Lizzy, I felt like if she refused dubia then I needed to give her something she likes, like superworms, just so she did not starve and ate that day. However now that she is having liver issues and starving herself completely I wish I would have held out and made her eat the healthier feeder, even if that meant no bugs for a few days until she came around.

Jury is still out on whether or not her liver issues were caused by feeding though, still trying to figure that out and working with Tracie.

I will tell you one thing, if I get her through this ... there will always be a giant salad provided for her, but if she does not want her roaches that day, we will try again tomorrow.

(I say that now, lets hope I can stick to my guns) ... :)

-- Craig

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I remember when my first beardie refused crickets for the longest time and it scared the crap out of me. But after 2 weeks she finally gave in and ate. Hopefully your baby liver issues was caught in time and she will make a great recovery. Just don't lose hope. As long as she is getting her critical care then she is still getting her nutrition needed. She hasn't lost to much weight has she?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Craig,

I am glad we have figured out Lizzy is indeed female!
You are correct, unless the MVB is faulty, then it isn't advisable to use D3 when using a MVB light. They should product adequate amounts of D3.
Is she still not liking the feedings? You can't blame her though! LOL
I hope she is feeling better.

Tracie

Neuro

Original Poster
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update and some questions. Lizzy seems to be doing good. She is full of energy/basking and running around getting into everything she can when out of her viv.

Sadly she is still not interested in food, but I am guessing that is due to the Lactulose and Baytril + the Critical Care I have been drip feeding. Not sure when I should expect her appetite to come back.

After talking with Tracie and my Vet I am going to finish out the 7 day course of Baytril just in case, but I am taking Tracie's advice and lowering the dosage a bit. Only a few more days to go on that.

Today I received the Bene-Bac Plus FOS & Probiotics for Bird and Reptile I ordered from Amazon. Should I begin using this now or should I wait until I am done with the antibiotics course?

Also I have been reading a lot about appetite etc. and people have mentioned Bee Pollen and Royal Jelly as possible appetite starters. However I read they contain a lot of protein and that may have been what got her into this mess in the first place. Any thoughts on whether I should try them or avoid them?

Also, I have read that Milk Thistle is good for Liver Health, has anyone had an experience with it that can give me some insight?

Thanks as always guys!

--Craig

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
I bet it's the mixture of critical care and medication that is making her loose interest in food.if she is full of energy then that's a good sign. Once you get the go ahead to take her off critical care a few days after she will want regular food again. That's what happened with my Lizzy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Craig,

How is little Lizzy doing tonight, is she sleeping now?
I am glad she had a good day, basking & being active.
That is fine to cut back some on the critical care & fluids if she is already hydrated & if she is just getting more & more bloated.
I did email you about the supplementation questions because I had forgotten to cover those for you. The bee pollen will probably have a little less protein in it than the royal jelly will.
I had forgotten to mention that dubia roaches are very high in protein & there have been some members on here recently that had fed a lot of roaches & their dragons developed gout.
It could also be what is being fed to the roaches also. We have to consider genetically modified feeds that are commercially processed which seems to be in a lot of products.
If she continues to stay bloated like this, then I would recommend getting an ultrasound to see what else could possibly be going on. I am just hoping that she is just reabsorbing some eggs & will go back to normal here real soon.
You can start using the probiotics anytime, while she is finishing up on the Baytril. At least she is almost done with that.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Neuro

Original Poster
Hello Tracie,

Yeah she is lights out and exhausted from trying to get away from me and the Critical Care all day. I thinks she is a little mad at me and my various syringes and eye droppers and I don't blame her one bit. So hard on both of us.

Okay. I may cut back a bit on the CC. My vet mentioned to try that and see if she gets interested in food again. I made a roach run in front of her in the living room over and over today (roaches hate me). She did seem much more interested in it and licked it, but that was it. But I'm not surprised with the meds and CC.

That sucks to hear that about dubia... what do you recommend for a staple feeder? I do primarily feed my dubia shredded carrots and Lizzy's leftover salad. But I am guilty of leaving some flukers cricket feed in with them in case I forget the veggies. Could that be a problem?

How long should I let the bloat continue? I just figured it was the lactulose and hoped it will go away once she is finished with that.

Good to know I can start the probiotic now. Should I mix it with the Critical Care?

I am really hoping it is something like reabsorbtion as well. And I really hope things get back to normal soon. This has been torture for both of us. Thanks for everything Tracie. I emailed you more info as well.

--Craig

Neuro

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

Just a quick update.

Last day of Baytril was on Friday and my Vet also recommended I stop the Lactulose and see how her appetite is etc.

On Saturday she ate a few bites of her Mustard Greens. Never thought I'd be so excited to see a dragon eat greens. Lol. Tried enticing her with a dubia and a hornworm. She was interested but still not wanting to eat.

On Sunday she may have eaten some of her salad, buuut she also ran through it, so it was very hard to tell.

I have been keeping up with the Critical Care but also mixing in some Milk Thistle/ReptiBoost/Bene-Bac. I also picked up some Royal Jelly on Sunday as I have read that can stimulate appetite.

I gave her a couple of small feedings of that slurry and a few drops of the Royal Jelly on Sunday evening.

I had to go back to work today, no more WFH sadly, but my Wife was here with her and she ate a hornworm!!! She even ran across the living room for it!

We are very stoked and hope this continues. I am going to keep up with the small slurrys and the Royal Jelly and keep the live feeders to a minimum each day, fingers crossed!!

Thanks for all of your help!! I will keep you all updated.

--Craig

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great to hear Craig, sounds like progress ! She's taking in a lot of good things and this will give her a full feeling so she is not so hungry. Don't worry about her eating a lot, just that she eats consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom