Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. On Monday the 26th I purchased my second bearded dragon. My fIrst beardie is now a healthy one year old female. Unfortunately my new beardie has had a somewhat rough time adjusting for some reason. In the beginning he/she was lethargic and not eating. He/she has become much more lively in the last few days, but I have still not been able to get it to eat. I put him/her in a separate feeding bin 2-3 times a day and put about 5-10 small crickets in their. So far he has only eaten one cricket. Whenever I put him in there he just sits there for about 5 minutes periodically trying to escape and then just closes his eyes. I gave him a bath the second day I had him wondering if he was dehydrated. I also gave him a bath this morning. He drank some of the water, sat there for a few minutes, and then wanted to get out so I put him back in his cage. He is probably around 6" long and is currently in a 20 gallon long. The temp in the basking spot is 110F and the cool side is in the mid 80's. I have an 18" reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb located inside the tank about 6" from the basking location. I do not know if I am just over reacting or if I am doing something wrong. I never had these problems with my other beardie, but I also bought my second beardie when it was a little older and about 9". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
HI :)

well, i always wondered when my beardie Blue was little, well, she seemed a little freaked out by crix .... have you thought about trying Pheonix Worms or Repti Worms? The come in small sizes, and they are not threatening at all lol, you can put them in a ceramic shallow dish and they wont get out ... the wiggle, but there is no real "chase" and no jumping, none of that. Plus they are REALLY REALLY nutritious for your beardie. I know you have an older beardie too, so i was wondering if you had ever tried them out? I did with Blue, and she ate SO MUCH better, i think she really had some sort of cricket phobia (i would too! lol) .... you can even order micro supers online from GreatLakes, the website will show you the sizes, the micros are very small and again, if they are in a smooth ceramic dish, they wont be able to get out.

I dont think your are over-reacting at ALL!! Eating is so important, especially for the babies and juvies that need that protein to grow :)
you are totally worrying for the right reasons. Your little one needs to eat and you love him. I bought Blue when she was under a month old, so i can totally understand what you are going through ... when i would put her in a container to feed her and add some crickets, she would literally freeze up, and sometimes start to back away OR struggle to get out. So then i tried using crix IN the tank, but that wasnt so succesfull either. I kinda quickly explored other feeder options that weren't so "intimidating" to her. And i think it all depends on the beardies personality you know? Some are totally fearless and DEVOUR the crickets even when they are super young and little. Some are overwhelmed. Its just a thought, because your set-up and temps are great for his size, thouht i guess it will time to upgrade soon! (i just updraded from an old 30 gallon to a 4x20x18 and man, she needed it!!!)
since you have expierence, you obviously know what you are doing! :)
So i dont think the problem lies within the set-up and temps at all, which one thing you can rule out. which is always good.
are you using loose substrate? impaction would be one mroe thought that may come to mind.

There is always the option of using baby food right now, since he is basically not eating at all. And if it doesnt entice him to eat, then you can syringe feed it orally just to get some nutrition, fat, and protein in him that he needs right now. HOPEFULLY with a little more time, continue the warm water soaks, keeping those temps just like have them, and trying some Pheonix, Reptis, MicroSupers, or even the small Butterworms or baby Silkworms (all online) might really work!!!! That is the situation is was in, and all of those feeders quickly became her staples and still are.

Mullberry Farms
Pheonix Worms
Repti Worms
Great Lakes Hornworms (they have much more than hornworms lol ... that is were i get Blue's small supers from)

just google any of those and browse around, check them out.
You could even pick up some small wax worms at hte pet shop to get some "jelly in his belly" for now unitl you can get him one of the feeders mentioned above.

Sounds like a bit more than relocation stress, then again, its not unheard of for them to not eat for the first week .... but you will know in your gut if its something more, and the lethargy is what is concerning. It IS VERY good that he drank out of his bath, good sign there at least!

Have you had a fecal test done on him? another thought would be that he could have parasites or worms, how is his poop looking?
~Emily

beardiebro

Original Poster
Thank you very much for taking your time to reply. I was thinking the same thing about trying other feeders so i ordered some dubia since they do not jump, but I will also try phoenix or repti worms. I find the whole situation strange because my other beardie had no hesitation when it came to eating. If it moved she would eat it, even from day 1. I expect my beardie will be out of the 20 gallon long within in a few months. It is the old 20 gallon long from when I first got my other one, however my older one lasted about a month until it was time to buy its 40 gallon breeder haha. I will check out the sites ou gave me and let you know how it goes. Thank you

beardiebro

Original Poster
I also forgot to mention in the original post that he seems to spend most of his time on the cool side of his enclosure.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
are the temps measured with a digital thermometer and a probe or a temp gun?
if they arent, could they be too hot by chance and that is why he is going to the cool side?
and SURE np!!! i think every beardie is different, and this one is gonna take some more TLC :) i know its frustrating and concerning, and even more so just down right confusing. ahhhhhhhh beardie slaves, we will do anything!
~Emily

louby13

Hatchling Member
hey

ive had a beardie for 5 wks now and yoshi was like that wouldnt eat crickets or locusts so we got some repti worms and took to them put it down to relocation stress anyway the other day we thought wed get some crickets as we had run out of the worms and waitin for a batch to come, and hes been eating them....but he didnt eat them when we put them in a seperate feeding tank...so it takes us about 2 hrs to feed him coz we have to chase the crickets round his cage but least he is eating....give your beardie time and a lot of patience and at lot of persiverance and you will get there....trust me its taken us 5 wks lol

beardiebro

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I have a probe measuring the temps. I was relieved to just come home and find him basking, which is a good sign.

I am also having this exact same problem, temps, viv, lighting all fine, but he's just not bothered about eating. He doesn't seem unwell and will drink when water is moving or when being bathed, but really just is not bothered about food. I'm going to look for an alternative food staple and see how he goes. I've tried all the feeding tank etc and still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom