Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexiegirl

Please help me. My baby, who is about 2-3 months old, has managed to rip half of his toe off on one of his back legs. I have no idea how it happened. My mom fed him while I was at work and he was fine and when I got home, I found his foot bleeding and half of his long toe on his back foot is gone. He is in a 20 L tank by himself, and I know my other dragon didn't hurt him because they haven't even really got to meet each other yet since I brought my second baby home ( they are siblings). My question is what should I do? How should I treat him? As soon as I found him I gave him a warm bath. Do I need to take him to the vet? Or can I just pick something up from the petstore or use something at home? Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Lexie, good that you bathed him, do you have any Bedatine Iodine in the house ? If you do, then add a drop or two to make a weak tea, in the bath, after he has had his drink ( if he drinks in the bath) and soak for around 5-10 minutes.
Then apply Neosporin, lightly. Do this daily until the toe heals. If you see the rest of the toe going black and edging up the foot, then you need to get him into the vets for a checkup, as the black means the tissue is dying.
There is a reason, and forgive me, but I can't quite remember the why this happens, only that there is indeed a dietary why.
Hopefully someone more informed than I will explain this to you.
Hope this helps, and keep us posted !
Janie.

lexiegirl

Original Poster
I don't have any betadine or neosporin in the house but I will definietly go out and get some tomorrow. Just regular neosporin is ok? If so, will it hurt him if he licks some of it off? I feed him a pretty good diet, although I have only had him a month (as of today actually), and he only got romaine lettuce and crickets from the previous owner. I think what might have happened is he got it caught in the rock I have in his viv for him. (It's a lava rock and we filed it down to remove the sharp pieces, but we may have accidently missed one, I am going to check it again tomorrow and refile any sharp spots. Thanks for all the help!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
If you apply the neo lightly, then there shouldn't be enough to lick off to do any harm at all. If it is the lava rock just remove it. I tend to use bricks instead ;)

Also, have you seen this site ?
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Daily foods in Green.. treats in Black, offered 1-2 times a week. Ignore the rest and you should be fine.
Are you using any supplements like calcium and vitamins ?
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom