Help?! Over spoiled??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
My Palmer get alot of time out of his cage, however it never seem to be enough to suit him. I have been off all summer and will return back to work soon. My fear is the damage he could do to himself from banging his nose of the glass all day. He already does this enough and when I'm back to work he will not get out near as much.

My other problem is he is not the only bearded dragon I have. Cooper is very calm about when he gets time out. I still think it is unfair however that many days he isn't getting out because Palmer thinks he need to be all day. They are both male and do not get along well.

This has gotten so out of hand I have considered getting rid of Palmer to someone who has more time to let him out. Many times I think it is the responsible thing to do for both boys as right now neither of them are getting what they need. Palmer has come such a long way since before he couldn't be let out at all. Please help me with any thoughts? Should I be rehousing Palmer? Is there something that can break him of being this demanding?

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry to hear that Palmer is not getting enough time out of the cage. It does suck that you will be going back to work soon and they will not get near as much time out as they are now. Is there anyone else in the house who could take Palmer out and watch him in a different room or something while you let Cooper out for his playtime?
You seem to take great care of them as they lboth ook very healthy and happy.
I know it is hard to hear and do, but if you show some tough love and not let Palmer out as much, just decrease his time out a little each day he will get used to it and will not be as rough with banging his face on the glass to get out.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the complement! I really try my best with my pets :D I just love them to pieces. Every time I think of rehoming Palmer I wanna cry. I just feel so bad for both of them right now. I'm going to try the tough love for a bit and see how it goes. I only have about three weeks to get this to go better. I won't get home from work and have the kids here until about 3:30 each day. We have to feed the kids, entertain the beardies and dog. Then lights out by 8:30 on the little kids and Cooper and Palmer. That being only five hours....... :x Right now Palmer thinks he need out that much each day.

I really appreciate your support :wink: I'll have to keep you posted. This is going to be so hard, not much with the tough love. How long does Havoc get out each day? Am I overreacting? I just worried about his nose! Again thanks

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
You should be able to convert him in 3 weeks time. I know it must be hard to think about having to rehome Palmer, I can only imagine how I would feel if we had to get rid of Havoc.
Havoc is usually out for 4-5 hours a day total, but I work nights so I am home during the day to look after him, plus my wife stopped working 4 years ago so she is home all day and looks after him when I am sleeping, he hangs out with her while she does her fish tanks and stuff. He has free roam when either of us are awake and will just go back into his enclosure on his own when he wants a snack or to bask.
Can you modify their light schedule a little too? Maybe keep their lights on until 9:30-10:00pm, that way it would give you more time with them and they would be waking up while you are already at work. You could make them their salads and put it in the enclosure before you leave for work in the mornings. I am just trying to think of ways you can manage to keep Palmer and spend an equal amount of time with both of them. It may not be possible but I hope you are able to do something. I wish you all the luck in the world with it and hopefully the tough love works out and Palmer gets used to it and calms down so there are no worries about him hurting himself.
Definitely keep me updated on how it is going for you.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Can you cover the inside glass with something soft so if he should bang his nose like that when you are gone to work..he will not damage his nose or mouth with the banging?

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions :D Today I am really stressed as both of them are banging to get out! I can only have one at a time out and Palmer always seems to be the one. Poor Cooper didn't even get out yesterday because of Palmer. I'm gonna try the towel and tough love while I bring Cooper out. There just isn't enough time in a day. :cry: How is it I can manage being a mother of five children yet, terribly failing when it comes to two beardies! I really think this should have stayed a one beardie home. The guilt is killing me. :( How in the world are these others able to have even more? Anyone, with multiples want to shed some light. Are yours just not as demanding?

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Checking in to see how you are making out with your little needy monster. Have you been trying the tough love thing?
Don't be too hard on yourself, taking care of the flesh babies is the top priority, if the Bearides have to lose out on a little time out of their enclosure, they will live. Everything else you do for them is perfect, they are well fed, loved and cared for the way they should be.
People with multiples may be stay at home Beardie keepers with no flesh kids or other pets to maintain so it is not the same type of situation for them. My wife has not worked in 4 years and we do not or never will have flesh kids, so at night while I am at work and during the 3 hours I sleep during the day she looks after the Beardie, Snake, Geckos, cats and multiple fish tanks which makes a huge difference.
If I were closer I woud take Palmer off your hands for you, to give you more piece of mind, but alas I am a very long way away and there would be no way for you to visit him if you wanted to.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If I were closer I would take Palmer off your hands for you,
That's sweet!
He is doing amazingly well! I'm so excited about it too :blob5: :blob8: I made a few changes and to my amazement I have a new Palmer. I had noticed every time Palmer was out he would run around for the first few minutes and then just hide. But if I then put him back in his tank he would be furious. I put more thought into it. He just liked being able to hide once he got tired from running around.
When the boys we little they fit in their logs for a hide Then when they outgrew them I made some fleece blankets. Palmer didn't seem to like his much but I would tuck him in it at night. DUH MOM!!!! He wanted a better hiding spot. I gave him an old shoe box for a hide temporarily to see how he would do. He loves it!! Now my mission is to find a more permanent hide. He so far has been great about coming out and basking too. Otherwise I will have to take his hide like you do with Havoc.
I am not joking when I say he has not once banged on the glass to get out. I feel bad I didn't realize what was going on sooner. I took the blanket out and he looked at me like, about time you dumb lady! He is even letting my pet him a little more.
Cooper seems to like this arrangement as he now has two blankets. He is such a cuddle bug!

Thanks so much for checking back in on us! I'm so happy :blob5: :blob8:

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
That is great news, I'm so glad you were able to work it out. I never had any doubt though. You are a great Beardie mom and I was positive everything would work out for you. Gratz on getting it taken care of.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you, your kind words are really appreciated! I feel honored to have you say such nice things knowing how well Havoc is taken care of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom