HELP!! out of brumation and not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbolin

I am a new beardie owner. I bought Bob when he was about 11 weeks old. He is now over a year. About 2 months ago he went into a semi brumation. He would go down for about 2 days and then come up for a day. But was never active and never had an appetite like before brumation. He didn't lose weight while brumating but he has now come out of brumation and is very active especially in the A.M. Unfortunately he is not eating and has lost about 10% of his weight. I have tried everything I know to entice him to eat some protein. He ate crickets up until he started brumation and then he would eat supers after when he would wake and get up for awhile. I had to give him a bath while brumation to get him to poop. He would poop every week to two weeks. Now that he is awake he again poops every day to day and a half. But it is so small. He seems to eat some greens but not enough. No worms of any kind. Although He did eat a couple wax worms a couple days ago. Nothing since. I have started him on Jump-start yesterday in hope it will help. I do give him calcium with D3 because he wasn't basking very long. But now he is basking for a good half day could it be he has D3 overdose? I plan to use some calcium without D3 when I am sure he is basking long enough. I have a MVB. Bask temp is 100-103 and cool side 78. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do? I have been in contact with Bob's vet and he said that I should give him a bit more time and continue doing what I have been doing. If he continues to lose bring him in. HELP

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which MVB do you have? How old is it & how close is it?
While it sometimes is normal for the males to come out of brumation with raging hormones because breeding season is coming up.
I would continue to try to get him to eat & hopefully soon, he will start calming down for you & eating.
The jumpstart may help so continue with that, daily for awhile to see if makes a difference for him.
Is he blackbearding & head bobbing any at all?

Tracie

pbolin

Original Poster
I have a PowerSun 100W bulb that is less than 6 months old. 9.5-10 inches away from the basking spot. He is black bearding but I have not seen him do head bobbing. He is still very easy to handle although on the go mostly iin the morning. Sets and basks otherwise. Thanks so much for answering. He still wants to sleep some in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom