HELP! Not sure about this behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I am fairly new to having a bearded dragon from a young age. I have had Yoda since the beginning of September. He has always been very active and loves to bask a lot. I recently moved Yoda to my classroom as a class pet and he has seemed to do well. I bring him home over the weekend so he still receives attention. Today, when I came to my classroom, he seemed fine, but I noticed his eyes seemed to be cracked open, as if he were tired. He ended up going under his rock hide for about an hour or so. He remained alert with his head up the entire time and his eyes also seemed to "wake up". When he came out, his color was bright like usual, but he has been "perched" in a standing position on his log almost all day (his log is close to but not right under a cool side heat lamp and under his uvb lamp). Again, he still looks to be alert and holds his head up. He responds when you approach the tank by looking up at you or turning his head to look at you. It just freaked me out when he hid for so long in the morning and appeared "tired". The past several days before this, I have noticed him gaping a lot when under his basking lamp. I have seen both positive and negative remarks about this. Some people say it's normal and they are "sweating", but others say they are not supposed to. He doesn't have any other "signs" of a respiratory disease. I just want to make sure he is okay and I am not being too much of a "worry wart". His hide rock is under his warm side heat lamp, where he usually spends a lot of time basking. His "normal" movement that I see consists of long amounts of time under the basking lamp on his rock, running up and down the tank, and "perching" on his log in between everything else. He also has a hammock on the cool side that he will go on every now and then. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

aepstein

Have you tried spritzing him? Giving him a bath? The gaping could be he is getting warm, so making sure he is hydrated could help :) My baby gapes when he is warm, and after a while will drink if I place a few droplets of water on his snout...

YodasMomma

Original Poster
I tried giving him a bath and it was like he was like he had been revived!! Totally "woke up". Well, he became more active once he came out of hiding but after the bath he had crazy energy. I had just given him a bath Sunday so I hadn't thought about him needing it again. I did leave his water bowl out of the tank Monday because I left my house without it before going to my class :-/ thanks for the help!

aepstein

YodasMomma":wpz3tdmp said:
I tried giving him a bath and it was like he was like he had been revived!! Totally "woke up". Well, he became more active once he came out of hiding but after the bath he had crazy energy. I had just given him a bath Sunday so I hadn't thought about him needing it again. I did leave his water bowl out of the tank Monday because I left my house without it before going to my class :-/ thanks for the help!

Glad I could help. I've recently been playing with the bulbs in my cage and realized that once it got to the right temps, my little guy gets a little dried out.

I usually take him out and spritz his body (mostly his head) he will drink if he's thirsty, and sometimes will absorb water through his vent. Just make sure you take a washcloth or towel and make them nice and dry/toasty before putting him back in the tank

YodasMomma

Original Poster
That's great to know! I will make sure to give him plenty of hydration then! Luckily I isially do make sure he's dry before I put him back in, only because I worry that he'lol get cold once he's out of the warm water lol. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom