HELP New Beardy Owner With Concerns.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
MrMerle":1nzumopk said:
I got her from TND dragons at the Baltimore Repticon show

Have you emailed him directly? He's on here a lot. I'm sure he might be able to shed some light for you...

MrMerle

Original Poster
Yeah, he and I both have been emailing each other and he said to be patient. He has been very helpful and responsive. I just posted the thread to see if someone had any other ideas or recommendations. Yes, I have pics of her and will post some when I am at my laptop.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
How long do you leave the reptiworms in for? I leave mine in the cage all day in a bowl.. they can't climb out My beardies won't eat when I first put them in.. but by the time I get home from work they are all gone. Do you leave them in the cage all day? If not, I would try that..

MrMerle

Original Poster
Tried that and no luck :(

pics as promised....please ignore the background in her cage as i said it was a quick backup cage :) first two photos are from today

2011-06-03_19-40-14_99.jpg

2011-06-03_19-39-34_698.jpg

2011-05-28_23-58-40_441.jpg

2011-05-28_17-36-12_785.jpg

2011-05-28_16-59-35_829.jpg

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
What a cutie!! He definately doesn't look starved :D Keep us updated on his eating. I hope he starts eating for you soon.. I know how it feels to have a beardie that won't eat!

Redleg

These reptiles mainly get their water from soaking in it and from their veggies. They rarely will drink from a bowl like a cat or dog although my Scary sometimes will.
I got Scary to eat the first time by putting her in her feeding container and surrounding her with active crickets. The movement stimulated her to strike. 8)
Other posters here are correct. Mealworms are not a good thing for beardies. Crickets are the ticket for small growing beardies. Scary has gone from 8" to 16" in two months.
I agree with the other poster that you sure sound like you have a lot of heating implements in your Viv. Are you sure with all that stuff that it is only in the low 90s? I have one UVB in a pretty big tank and it gets the hot spot to 100F and the far spot in the upper 70s, which seems to suit Scary just fine.

My $.02.

MrMerle

Original Poster
Redleg":2n8j151t said:
These reptiles mainly get their water from soaking in it and from their veggies. They rarely will drink from a bowl like a cat or dog although my Scary sometimes will.
I got Scary to eat the first time by putting her in her feeding container and surrounding her with active crickets. The movement stimulated her to strike. 8)
Other posters here are correct. Mealworms are not a good thing for beardies. Crickets are the ticket for small growing beardies. Scary has gone from 8" to 16" in two months.
I agree with the other poster that you sure sound like you have a lot of heating implements in your Viv. Are you sure with all that stuff that it is only in the low 90s? I have one UVB in a pretty big tank and it gets the hot spot to 100F and the far spot in the upper 70s, which seems to suit Scary just fine.

My $.02.

All of those items used for heat were with the larger 55gal....all i am using right now is the 160w Zoo Med power sun bulb and the ceramic heater indirectly heats it. I also have a reptile uv bulb but have been more than disappointed with their customer service and unwillingness to help correct the issue after they sent me the incorrect product and have refused to issue me a refund in the difference for the less expensive product they sent me. Yes, to double check the temps i even bought an inferred thermometer "with a laser sight :)". My house temp is in the low 60's so it doesn't surprise me that i need the extra heat. Again, I saw after it ate the mealworm that some people dont recommend it...not something i have tried to feed her since. I tried the feeding container route and again with no success. The breeder said he doesn't use a feeding container so i started to stray away from it since i had no success with it anyway....I also was worried about leaving crickets in her cage since i have heard that they will nip and can harm/damage a dragon as they sleep ....so i switched to reptiworms in a small bowl. I dont really expect her to drink out of the bowl....i mist her once in the morning and then in the afternoon i bath her and drip water on her nose so she drinks. The bowl was originally for greens and other vegetables. It will be one week tomorrow since i have had her......i hope she gets hungry soon!!

MrMerle

Original Poster
lauraj1055":3qp98thp said:
What a cutie!! He definately doesn't look starved :D Keep us updated on his eating. I hope he starts eating for you soon.. I know how it feels to have a beardie that won't eat!

thank you and so do I!!!

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
Hi! Maybe I am imagining it or it's the way the light is hitting in the first two pics, but it looks like her tail is lighter than the rest of her. I know when my guys are getting ready to shed they usually slow down on eating not to mention gett a little cranky. :roll: . If she IS getting ready for a shed, I suggest letting her soak a bit in warm water up to her shoulders. It may make her more comfortable and it will help the shed go easier. Hope this helps. :D

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
how close is the little guy to that 160w powersun? He shouldn't be able to get any closer then 18"...and honestly, even that may be too close. They put out a LOT of uvb...often times too much at the recommended distances.

MrMerle

Original Poster
She is closer than 18 inches at times to the bulb......what bulb would you recomend then? Would too much uvb cause her not to eat? repti 10?

MrMerle

Original Poster
ok, switched to a repti 10 bulb with a basking light elevated 14 inches over her cage...temp seems to be good in the basking area. I think i am going to take her to the vet tomorrow.....

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Has she ate anything for you yet? Did you return the Powersun bulb? I relly like my Trex Active MVB for the babies.. They seem to do really well with it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom